finding a server to store a video project that others can view on the net

Posted by David McGiffert 
finding a server to store a video project that others can view on the net
April 03, 2009 04:25PM
This might be the 'way wrong place to ask this question...apologies if it is.

I would like to be able to upload a 71 gig file of a documentary to a server
where other people could go and watch it in fairly good resolution.
Does anyone know of such a place?

Thank you.
Re: finding a server to store a video project that others can view on the net
April 03, 2009 04:47PM
Man...this question has GOT to be entered into the WIKI. This subject has been gone over tons of times. Try a forum search.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 03, 2009 05:14PM
71 GIGs? That's bloody huge.
No ones going to:
a. want to wait for that to download
b. have a server that can handle the bandwidth required.

Do like Joey said and search.
Short answer.
You're going to have to figure out how to compress that into a maneageable size. That means you are going to have to deal with the trade-off of file size, file quality, streamability(it's a word, gosh darnit!) and convenience for your viewers. This is smack dab in the middle of no-free-lunch territory.

Some key words you could try to search
H.264
Vimeo
Flash encoding...

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
April 03, 2009 05:37PM
Well who knows, if it's an archive of every movie ever made I could see why it needs to be 71GB. Otherwise, um yeah- H.264 brother...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
April 03, 2009 06:20PM
I got a 138GB ProRes file down to c. 760MB in 1080p HD using x264 and its pretty good quality - that was a 100 minute feature too!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 03, 2009 06:27PM
If you want a take a look at a still:

[www.loudandfast.co.uk]

Slight loss of detail especially in the film grain as it "cleans" up the picture in order to compress it better but perfectly watchable on an HDTV or in full screen on a computer.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 04, 2009 11:16AM
I would like to be able to upload a 71 gig file of a documentary to a server

it just doesnt work that way. nobody plays uncompressed media on the web.
you need to compress it for web playback via fcp, compressor or any of the variety of other compression tools out there.
April 04, 2009 11:39AM
A 1GB file can take anywhere between five and 20 minutes to download, depending on your internet speed. Do the math: 71GB x five minutes = Six hours of download time. It's going to take longer to get the file than to actually watch the thing. Not to mention other issues: You'll have plenty of people who don't have 71GB on their hard drive to store one giant movie file; many computers will not have the speed to play it back properly; if the download crashes or freezes, it's back to square one.

It's unrealistic.

www.derekmok.com
April 04, 2009 12:44PM
i think what david needs here is a basic education on getting movies onto the net.

david, im guessing that by 71gig file, you mean that youve exported your final movie as a standalone quicktime? what you need to do is go back to your timeline and do an export using quicktime conversion. there you can pick a dimension and compressor.

you, as a non web-techy dude, cant just serve up a full screen movie on the web. so you'll have to pick a reasonable size. when i post SD broadcast files of 720x480 for my clients to view, i size them down for easy web view to 320x240. not sure what you need, but there are several presets in the quicktime export dialog. or you can just do you own math and pick what you need. i would though try to keep your width to 800 or under or things will still likely be too big to realistically play

h.264 seems to be the most popular cross platform web codec these days. you could go with windows media or flash. but those are more tricky to get right and by nature of your question, i dont think we can cover that in a "brief" discussion.

make the audio mono (to save filesize) unless stereo is crucial to the enjoyment of your movie.

lastly, check that last option on the dialog box that says something like "fast web preview" (i forget the actual verbiage and im not at my edit computer right now) its a simple checkbox that will allow the clip to play as a progressive download or "faux-stream" which allows the movie to start playing once enough content is downloaded and thus saves the user from having to download the WHOLE movie before it begins to play.

hope this helps
Thank you all for taking the time (and having the patience),
to write.

I understand more clearly what must be done.
I have done the appropriate searches and have read up in more detail.
Apologies for the newby-ness.

David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics