Exporting Quick Time movie

Posted by David Vandergriff 
Exporting Quick Time movie
April 04, 2009 12:02PM
I'm unable to export to quick time. It would complete about 50% and then freeze. I've got OSX 10.5.6 and FCP academic 6.0.5. I did some repairs in disc utility yesterday to clean up "permissions", and after that a message came up telling me that "FCP requires a Quartz Extreme capable video card" and "FCP recommends I have 64 mb of VRAM", I currently have 0. Could this be my problem? I have been able to play video without any problem.

Thank you,

David Vandergriff
Re: Exporting Quick Time movie
April 04, 2009 12:29PM
what quicktime format are you exporting to?
what do you mean by "freeze"?

you cant have "0" vram. thats just not possible.
April 04, 2009 12:43PM
Exactly what computer is this?
April 04, 2009 05:48PM
It's an iMac
April 04, 2009 05:54PM
I got to about 70% completed when it stopped. I had to force quit out of FCP. Then I was unable to launch FCP. I had to force quit the finder. That didn't even shut it down, I had to hold the button down until the computer turned off. I went through this four times and gave up.

The "0" vram is the message the computer gave me following cleaning "permissions" with the disc utility.
April 04, 2009 06:15PM
I think I said exactly. EXACTLY which iMac? The current base model iMacs are not suitable for use with Final Cut and may be a cause of your problems.
April 05, 2009 12:11PM
My i Mac has 4 GB MHz DDR2 SARAM memory. 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo processor. FCP works fine, it's when I export that I have a problem.
April 05, 2009 12:40PM
So not the new low end iMacs. Thanks for answering. It sounds like a hardware problem, either the video card or the RAM itself. I'd take it to an Apple store or an Apple service technician.
April 05, 2009 01:07PM
Thanks Tom for your help, I'll do that.
April 05, 2009 06:38PM
Can you export to an outside drive or device like a roomy thumbdrive?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Fit Timeline Selection to Window with Shift-Option-Z !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 05, 2009 06:43PM
Backtracking, backtracking:

Check all your drives and tell us how much free space you have left, out of the drive's total capacity.

www.derekmok.com
April 05, 2009 06:45PM
>or device like a roomy thumbdrive?

That brings up a very good point, Loren.

What format are you exporting, how long is the video, how much space do you have in your target drive and what's the total space of that drive. And if you're exporting to your system drive, how much free space do you have in that drive and what's the total space of that drive?

www.strypesinpost.com
April 06, 2009 01:36AM
Problem seems to be solved. I opened a new project in FCP and imported one video file (58 minutes of video - the first field tape), put it on the timeline and successfully exported it using quick time. This time I didn't have several large video clips open.

Thank you for all your input.
April 06, 2009 05:27PM
You shouldn;t have *any* large video clips except your final. It's best to capture in chunks of 15 minutes or less. Yes, it's extra work marking and logging then batching, but it pays off with kinder media management and response-- especially in older machine slike G4's and 5's, or less capable machines like iMacs.

Less SBBOD all around.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Fit Timeline Selection to Window with Shift-Option-Z !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 06, 2009 10:46PM
Thank you,

I have a client who wanted a dvd of the field tapes. Each tape is about 55 minutes long. He wants these to look at before we begin the edit process. The first tape is of a live performance of clients band. In this case, would you still recommend breaking it up into smaller chunks?

t
April 06, 2009 11:34PM
> The first tape is of a live performance of clients band. In this case, would you still recommend
> breaking it up into smaller chunks?

Absolutely. Captures longer than 15 minutes have a much higher risk of sync drift, dropouts, timecode issues, and other problems. It takes about 10 seconds to splice two separate clips back together into a continuous flow; it takes more like an hour to fix up a botched 60-minute capture.

www.derekmok.com
April 07, 2009 12:31PM
Great info. Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics