Canvas Playback Sticks

Posted by Greaser 
Canvas Playback Sticks
April 26, 2009 07:16PM
There are too many times that I have to reboot FCP to make the canvas play back properly. Several times a day it tends to stick when I hit play, scrub or whatever, what I mean is that it'll only play about 1 to 2 frames of footage and repeat and repeat until I pause. Rebooting FCP always clears this up, but then I've lost any possible undo's, which is annoying as heck. The problem returns within an hour or so. Footage type doesn't seem to matter, DV or DV HD. Imported from a cam or not doesn't seem to matter either.

I've thrown my FCP prefs (com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist, Final Cut Pro 6.0 Prefs, Final Cut Pro Obj Cache, Final Cut Pro Prof Cache) away, which doesn't seem to help. I've also run DU/repair permissions which doesn't help. I cringe on the thought of a reinstall, way too many plugins.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Canvas Playback Sticks
April 26, 2009 11:54PM
If your drives are nearly full that could be the problem.
April 27, 2009 09:25AM
The drive that the footage is on is only about 1% full. My boot drive is only 1/3 full. I've also moved footage around to different drives to see if it makes a difference and it doesn't.

Thanks, any other suggestions?
April 27, 2009 09:32AM
On what kind of drive(s) are you storing the media? How is it/are they connected to the computer?

Please give us the full specs of the system, including hardware, OS, FCP and QT versions.

debe
April 27, 2009 11:48AM
My system is an 8-core, 2.66 with 12gb, the video card is a Radeon HD 4870 512MB, Dynex FW 400/800 PCIe card. OS 10.5.6, FCP 6.0.5, QT 7.6.

The internal drives are:
1. Boot drive and apps - Velociraptor 300gb 86gb used
2. Scratch drive - Velociraptor 300gb 11.3gb used
3. Video storage drive - Seagate Barracuda 1tb (ST31000333AS, not on the bad Seagate list) 141gb used
4. Video Mirror storage drive - Seagate Barracuda 1tb (ST31000333AS, not on the bad Seagate list).

Time Machine / Superduper partitioned drive that backs up my boot is a 300gb Seagate Barracuda external USB.

I also have additional external drives connected for documents and what-not. These are only turned on when needed.

Other:

Both optical drive bays are occupied, one with the Apple Shipping Drive - Hitachi HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N and the other with a SAMSUNG SH-S223Q LS

Memory (12GB) is OWC, matched set (2GB x 6) PC-8500, 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM.
[eshop.macsales.com]

Miglia EvoTV box connected via USB and a D-Link hub.

Apple Cinema Display 23" & Dell 20" (SP2008WFP).

Anything more?
April 27, 2009 01:50PM
If I read your description right, the same thing happens to me on occasion. If it's the same thing, I have an easier workaround: close the sequence, then open it again, no need to restart FCP.

I have associated this on my system with doing other work on my computer besides FCP (with FCP and my project open), then coming back to FCP. I don't recall it ever happening in the middle of an editing session.

If anyone else has seen this, chime in, I've never seen it mentioned before. I am using FCP 5.1.4 with latest Tiger on a Mac Pro.

Scott
April 27, 2009 04:22PM
Scott, thanks for the tip, it works for me. Why this is happening, who knows? When I have time I'll try a reinstall, but until then this may do.

Tony
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics