RED camera footage on FCP5 and G5 Mac

Posted by Matt Konicek 
RED camera footage on FCP5 and G5 Mac
April 27, 2009 06:12PM
My next offline gig is originating on a RED Camera at 2K resolution. All the docs I can find on Red/FCP workflow suggest there needs to be an additional conversion in order to make the dailies files accessible on my machine, as the 'normal' Red workflow is designed for FCP6 and Intel machines. I am guessing I need to convert the Red files to DV/DVCPro or DVCPro HD in order for this to work. Can I do this in my (admittedly outdated) offline system or is it best handled by someone else?

Thanks-

Matt
Re: RED camera footage on FCP5 and G5 Mac
April 27, 2009 06:44PM
Offline workflow is easiest just to edit with the low rez Quicktime reference movies direct in the timeline. For that you need an intel mac. Even converting the files needs an intel mac. Sorry.

Graeme
April 27, 2009 08:50PM
Sonic Pool is offering to transcode DVCProHD files from original cameraa Red files for me. Is there any reason to be concerned that these files will not work on my FCP5/ Dual 2.5G G5?

Thanks-

Matt
April 27, 2009 09:00PM
That shouldn't be a problem- except for the big hit in quality you'll be taking if that's your finishing format.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics