SD clips on a DVD-R?

Posted by PG 
PG
SD clips on a DVD-R?
April 29, 2009 11:03PM
I have a client that would like to purchase some of my stock footage. He would like them on a DVD-R as individual clips in SD.

What is the best method for for this type of request? I can render them in most any format. If I rendered each clip as a QT Movie self contained I can't seem to burn more than one clip to each DVD using Toast 10 or even DVD Pro. I would like something similar to the way Artbeats burns their footage onto a DVD.

Thanks for your input.
Re: SD clips on a DVD-R?
April 29, 2009 11:27PM
What kind of SD?

If it's high-quality, like an Uncompressed SD format, a DVD isn't going to get you very far (4GB of Uncompressed 10-bit SD, NTSC footage is only about four minutes). And I don't know why you'd be messing with DVD Studio Pro -- your client is looking for data files, not a video DVD.

www.derekmok.com
PG
April 29, 2009 11:39PM
Thanks Derek,

So how do I burn SD data files onto a DVD? Some are 16:9 and some 4:3.
April 29, 2009 11:50PM
> Some are 16:9 and some 4:3.

These are data files, so frame size is irrelevant. Your problem is that your delivery format is just far too slow and small for your chosen clip quality and quantity. Chances are you're dealing with some kind of Uncompressed SD codec; if it were DV NTSC, 4GB would have given you 20 minutes.

For such large clips, you should think about just copying the files to them using a portable drive, or getting it to them with a download. There are also USB sticks that are larger -- 8GB to 16GB.

www.derekmok.com
PG
April 30, 2009 08:05AM
I don't thing that I explained it properly. When purchasing stock footage from a company such as Artbeats, the footage arrives on a DVD. Each DVD contains a number of individual clips.

My questions is: How are these clips burned onto a DVD as individual files? Each DVD may contain as many as 6 or 8 good quality clips.
April 30, 2009 08:12AM
What codec, frame size, frame rate, and data rate is the Artbeats media? How long are the clips? Those factors will determine how many you can fit onto a DVD.
April 30, 2009 08:23AM
I'm looking at the Artbeats clips, and most of them are 10 to 45 seconds long. At those lengths, of course you can fit half a dozen Uncompressed 10-bit SD files (at around 1GB per minute) onto a data DVD. If you couldn't fit more than one clip at SD quality onto a data DVD, then I'm guessing your clips are a lot longer in duration.

www.derekmok.com
PG
April 30, 2009 09:18AM
Tom and Derek,

Thanks for your response. I am going to check out an Artbeats DVD that I have in my library.
PG
April 30, 2009 09:24AM
The Artbeats disc is as follows:

11 clips per disc
QT .mov files
NTSC

They average in length from 43.7mb to 62.8mb

Again, my question is how do I apply my individual clips onto a DVD. Whenever I use Toast or other software to burn them onto a DVD it will only allow one clip. Even though the clips are small.

Thanks your your guidance.

PG
April 30, 2009 09:28AM
I imagine you're trying to burn video DVDs, when what you really want is to burn data DVDs. You don't need (and in fact, should not use) a third-party program for that. Just put a blank DVD in your Mac, drag the files to it until you've dragged them all or the disc is full, then hit "burn."

PG
April 30, 2009 09:31AM
Jeff,

O.K. this is the information that I was looking for as well as the information that Derek and Tom supplied. Thanks to the three of you I'm pointed in the proper direction.

All the best,

PG
April 30, 2009 03:39PM
This is a good work flow.

[www.kenstone.net]

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics