DVCProHD to DVD

Posted by preditor 
DVCProHD to DVD
May 01, 2009 07:27PM
I'm looking for the best SD quality from my DVCProHD 720p show for DVDs. If I export the QT file directly and then create the DVD with either iDVD or iDVDStudio Pro, the artifacting on the edges of the video is unacceptable and hard to watch. So far the only solution I've found for both this timeline and my old Uncompressed 8bit 16:9 shows from Digibeta is to drag the timeline into a DV Anamorphic timeline, output the QT and drag it into iDVD.

There's got to be a better way. We have no need to produce BluRay discs yet, and I presume you need a BluRay burner to do that. I just need higher quality DVDs from my 720p HD projects.

Thanks for your help.

John
Re: DVCProHD to DVD
May 01, 2009 07:30PM
Drop DVCPROHD into a 16:9 NTSC SD timeline, export as uncompressed or ProRes. Then drop that file into Compressor and encode Best Quality Preset at the matching length of your program. Then import into DVDSP. Should look great.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
May 02, 2009 04:53PM
Hi John,

I don't bother transcoding to ProRes.

I export DVCPRO HD 720p from FCP > File > Export > QT (Not with Conversion). Make Self Contained, Use Current Settings, Do Not Recompress all frames.

I then drop the QT export into Compressor. I get excellent results.

--ken
May 03, 2009 01:33AM
I do what Ken does, and my DVDs look great.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 03, 2009 03:27AM
Curious: roughly How much longer in Compressor than the ProRes? Feels like much more data to chew on.

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics