capturing from Sony Z1 - correct order of connection

Posted by conniex 
capturing from Sony Z1 - correct order of connection
May 03, 2009 01:42PM
I need to capture HDV footage from a Sony Z1 into my FCP project (v 6.0.1) using the i-LINK cable (from camera to firewire port). Please can someone tell me the correct, and safest, order in which to connect the camera to the computer (G5), to turn the camera on, to open up FCP... and the reverse process when I've finished capturing. As there is no icon on the desk relating to the camera, I cannot eject it by dragging it to the trash. Therefore, should I unplug the cable only when the computer has been turned off? Is the order critical, or not? Could any harm come to the camera if the procedure were not done in the correct order? Would be most grateful for an answer please.
Re: capturing from Sony Z1 - correct order of connection
May 03, 2009 07:09PM
i have found that having devices plugged in and powered on before launching FCP is generally the successful way to go.

but its generally advisable from a electrical standpoint to have the camera turned OFF when plugging/unplugging it from the firewire cable.

the camera isnt seen as a storage device, so you wont see anything on your desktop
May 04, 2009 02:18PM
Thanks for your reply. Can I switch off the camera and disconnect it while FCP is still running, or should I quit first? Or do I need to actually turn the computer off first?
May 04, 2009 04:59PM
as long as you have closed the log and capture window it shouldnt be an issue - in theory. but as always YMMV
May 05, 2009 09:01PM
I have a Sony Z1.

1) With the camera disconnected, set the camera to transfer your footage by selecting the format your movie is shot, let's say it's HDV, put it in AUTO. If it's in DVCAM, put it in DVCAM, etc.

2) Turn off the camera. Connect it to the computer. Turn it on and forward to the first scene recorded or the slate. Then put it in PAUSE.

3) Go to the Capture Preset in FCP and select EASY SET UP from A/V devices. Then FCP will automatically select the right Capture format, i. e., HDV or DVCAM, etc. Double check the Capture Preset, make sure it's what you want to work with in FCP project. (Sometimes if the Preferences in FCP are set to something different, you'll end up with problems later, so double check).

4) Then select Log and Capture from the FCP menu and the window should open up to "VTR connected". That means your camera is ready to transmit and your FCP is ready to Capture your movie.

5) Make sure you have set the preferences in FCP for the program to break up your footage into separate takes each time the camera starts and stops.

6) Be sure not to capture before you have entered "reel number", "shot description", and "saved the project as" in the name you identify the movie with.

7) Then click on "Capture Clip" and as you capture, make sure you enter the name of every clip.

8) If you have long takes, like five minutes or more, break them up into logical shots. Don't capture hours and hours of a movie in long half an hour clips. You will pay the price for laziness when you are doing sound in Soundtrack Pro and Effects in Motion and other programs.

Good luck.
Re: Why not being able to capture from Sony Z1?
October 25, 2010 02:38PM
Hi
I am using a Sony Z1 camera NTSC
OS = 10.6
FCP = 7.0

I am trying to capture from the Sony Z1 using HDV o DV and FCP will not recognise my camera.

I really want to capture in HDV from the Z1. It was working perfect and suddenly doesn't recognize device anymore. I have read other threads but I cannot relate them to my specific problem. I would appreciate your help as I am going mad angry smileywith this pop up: "Unable to Initialize Capture Device" I trashed the preferences and refresh device, but nothing worked!

FCP was set using easy setup HDV
Audio/Visual Settings:- Seq Preset = HDV 1080I/60
Capture Preset = HDV
Device Control Preset = Sony HDV 1080i/60 Firewire

Z1
VCR HDV/DV = HDV
Component = 1080i/480i
i Link Conv = Off
Down Convert = Squared
A/V-->DV Out = On

Quicktime 10.0 (51)

Please can anyone helpeye rolling smiley?
Thanks
Re: Why not being able to capture from Sony Z1?
October 25, 2010 03:09PM
What's the computer? Drives? How's everything connected exactly? Does System Profiler recognize the camera?

All the best,

Tom
Re: Why not being able to capture from Sony Z1 to FCP?
October 26, 2010 07:58PM
Hi Tom,

Thanks so much to answer!smiling smiley
I MAC
2.66 GHz Intel core duo
4GB
Connected through the IEEE 1394 4 pin connector S400 cable.
Drives? Do you mean external hard disc? I have an usb external disc connected.
Can you please explain me where do I find System Profiler?
Now I tried a different camera and didn't work either.
Could it be the FCP? Should I reinstall it?
Could it be the Imac firewire socket?

Help!!!!!!!eye popping smiley
Re: Why not being able to capture from Sony Z1 to FCP?
October 26, 2010 08:10PM
Apple>About This Mac. Click on More Info.

Could be the port. Have you tried an Apple technician or store?

All the best,

Tom
Is quicktime player same as quicktime X?
October 31, 2010 09:49AM
hi everyone!

I have a new question related:
I uninstalled FCP because of that problem in FCP recognzing the Sony Z1 camera.
I wonder if macos X 10.6.4 has QT in it and if that should be quicktime X?
I cannot find Quicktime in the system.
Is quicktime player same as quicktime X?
Wich one should I download then?
As you see I'm very confused and going mad right now.winking smiley
So I thought if could be any conflict there, with FCP an the control device connection. what do you think?

thanks so much.

your replies are of great help!
Re: Is quicktime player same as quicktime X?
October 31, 2010 11:33AM
There is no conflict. QuickTime X is used by the system. This has nothing to do with the QuickTime players. The QuickTime X player comes installed in the Applications. The OS install disc also comes with the QuickTime 7 player, which gives you the pro player capabilities. This is not required for FCP.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics