remote video production...

Posted by Trittles 
remote video production...
May 05, 2009 01:56PM
Hello Fellow FCP lovers,

I'm looking for information about how to send video from a remote location. My production will be hiking the mountains of Bolivia and we want to send weekly podcasts and video feeds from the field. Does anyone have experience in this who would like to share their technical genius on the best way to go about doing this?

Thank you in advanced,
Trista T.
Re: remote video production...
May 05, 2009 01:58PM
The mountains of Bolivia?

Never having been to Bolivia, I have to ask: Is there even an option other than satellite uplink? I have a hard time imagining that the mountains of Bolivia are riddled with wireless hot-spots.

May 05, 2009 02:14PM
I suspect you're right. So what's the best and fastest satellite technology out there? Any ideas where to start looking for that?

Trista T.
May 05, 2009 03:04PM
A FCP trouble shooting forum isn't the place to find out about Satellite Uplinks for Video Feeds I suspect. Have you looked into this:

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 05, 2009 10:02PM
dvxuser.com
May 06, 2009 09:31PM
There are backpack/trunk size units you could hump into a jungle. Ku band uplink that can carry data, video, audio...whatever you want. Not cheap and not easy to use. Research what news types use to file stories from the field. I'm pretty sure they use a satellite phone with a data modem and laptop to file print stories, video and audio from really remote locations. These setups are more user friendly because they have to be used by journalists and producers who aren't incredibly experienced with this type of stuff. On the other hand, also not cheap.

I've done a lot of remote stuff via ftp and the net and run SD & HD uplink trucks but have no direct experience with more portable units. They are out there though.
May 06, 2009 10:35PM
A couple or three years ago, on this board, there was a mountainier gal who had a similar issue ... wanted to send live stuff from Mount Kilamanjaro or whatever it was. Does anyone remember that?

We were all kind of cheering her on, as I recall.

Maybe there's something in the files/search.

Harry.
May 07, 2009 07:44AM
you need a BGAN (Broadband Global Area Network) ... tiny little thing relatively speaking, we use them all the time for feeding live pictures and/or rushes and edited content from otherwise unreachable locations.
May 07, 2009 10:09AM
Here's a good article from this month's tv technology magazine:

[www.nxtbook.com]

The article is called "A Workflow Seachange for ENG" Basically what Andy said.
May 07, 2009 12:55PM
Harry pondered
A couple or three years ago, on this board, there was a mountainier gal who had a similar issue ... wanted to send live stuff from Mount Kilamanjaro or whatever it was. Does anyone remember that?

Yes! original thread: original

Follow-up thread: follow-up

The web site for the production is: www.themountainwithin.com, but there's not a lot there.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics