Proper lighting

Posted by Steve Douglas 
Proper lighting
May 10, 2009 05:55PM
Since most of my work is either underwater or on safari where lighting is a whole different ballgame, I am now stuck with a lighting issue for a short film I have been asked to shoot using the producer's cam which is a Sony A1-U HDV . There will be two main locations, one is a dark alley shot at night and the other will be inside in a dimly lit room, lots of candles. I am concerned just how to light these locations keeping things dark, yet not get the grain and dirt in the footage that the A1-U's low light ability produces. I know I can effect many changes in post but what would be some good suggestions in terms of the shoot itself?
Appreciate any suggestions.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Re: Proper lighting
May 10, 2009 06:10PM
My advice is to light the location a just little brighter, with a stronger key light (usually typical of night shoots), then lower the mids and shadows in post, that way, you get a cleaner overall picture, and much better than if you actually have to gain the picture in post.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 10, 2009 07:58PM
ask this question over at dvxuser.com
its a much more "shooter-centric" forum
May 11, 2009 09:14AM
Don't be afraid to say "can't do it." Have you heard that story about how Kubrick had to have a couple highly exotic f 0.7 lenses adapted to shoot the candlelit scenes in "Barry Lyndon?" Some of the new digital cameras have pretty remarkable low-light performance, but with a 1/3" CMOS sensor, I have a hard time imagining that the HVRA1U is among them.

Noise is an inevitable side-effect of not having enough light in the scene. If the camera can't record a clean picture with the light available, add more light. Or learn to live with noise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics