Experiences with HDV on Powerbook G4?

Posted by John K 
Experiences with HDV on Powerbook G4?
May 12, 2009 12:48AM
Hey all,

I've been trying to hold off upgrading my trusty G4 Powerbook (1.67ghz) until later this year when I can afford a new MacBook Pro. But I have job coming up soon where I'll be cutting HDV for a few days on location, and I'm wondering if this laptop is up to the task. I've had very little exposure to HDV, I usually edit DVCProHD and ProRes on my MacPro tower; I don't have any footage to test on the G4 right now either.

Wondering if anyone has had experience cutting HDV on an G4, if so please tell me what to expect. I know rendering is going to be a b*tch, but will it be bad enough to really slow me down?

TIA,
JK

May 12, 2009 09:58AM
i wasnt aware they made a G4 powerbook faster than 1.6 ghz?
Re: Experiences with HDV on Powerbook G4?
May 12, 2009 11:26AM
Shoot, I mixed up my systems, It's 1.67ghz. Thanks Wayne. [post corrected]
May 12, 2009 11:27AM
dang - you were scaring me there for a sec! i was gonna rush out and buy one...
May 12, 2009 11:42AM
A couple of years ago I tried editing HDV on my dual 1ghz G4 tower and it sucked royally from what I remember.

-A
May 12, 2009 12:27PM
I did this with my Powerbook G4...same model, 1.67Ghz. Possible, but not fun. Render times through the roof. Basic editing was OK, anything else. Oochie.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
bj
May 12, 2009 01:58PM
I used my G4-1.5GHz MBP to edit EX1 footage.
Just had trouble injesting it as clip browser wanted Intel chip computer.
May 12, 2009 02:07PM
Holding off on upgrading with a job waiting in the wings? IMHO, that's shooting yourself in the foot. Why would you even remotely want to suffer through a slow-a$$ experience when you need this unit to perform? Not to mention you are working on a job that will probably PAY FOR AN UPGRADE ANYWAY.

...time to upgrade, IMHO.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 12, 2009 02:21PM
grafixjoe
Not to mention you are working on a job that will probably PAY FOR AN UPGRADE ANYWAY.

It will pay for it, but barely any left over. Believe me, I love my new toys but a brutha's gotta EAT.

JK

May 12, 2009 08:49PM
C'mon, man...you're living hand to mouth? You don't have a credit card? Forgive me if I don't buy that stuff...but that's no excuse, brutha. Our business demands good fast tools. Clients expect it. I know I maxed out my credit cards on a system I couldn't afford...because I knew it was FAST and it would help me do my job better and pay it off faster - which it did. You want to work on a slow clunky system...knock yourself out. Doesn't look good to the client at all when they ask "where's my stuff" and you tell them it will take a week to render your timeline.

I'll eat ramen and go with the MBP any day. That's my 2 cents.

May 13, 2009 12:33AM
Joe, don't you know that meme? As in "Shakespeare gotta eat?" As in "Lorenzo Lamas gotta eat?" As in... aw, forget it.

Point is no, I am not hand to mouth. But my company just financed a big production that won't pay for itself for a while, so believe me when I tell you that our accountant (aka MY WIFE) gives me the eye whenever I mention the upgrade. And I don't believe in carrying loads of debt either.

But I did get my question answered, and I'm not going to bring in the Powerbook on this one. They definitely need power and speed. I may have to haul my system down there for the gig -- but I would never bring in an old machine and expect a client to wait forever for renders. That's just common sense.

JK

May 13, 2009 01:15PM
It just depends on the NEED. My Wife's not my accountant...but she knows that "fast toys = fast $$$". She gave me the thumbs up on my MBP in late 07. Best money I spent in years. Paid for itself after 2 gigs. I would have bought it without her thumbs up anyway...CAUSE I'M DA BOSS!!!!!

A-hem. Sorry, Hunee grinning smiley

May 13, 2009 05:35PM
===>>I'll eat ramen and go with the MBP any day. That's my 2 cents.

Watch that salty diet Joey. Enough reasons to have high blood pressure in this business without 2 grams of salt in your noodles.

;-)
May 13, 2009 09:05PM
My BP is 120 over 80 and my Cholesterol is 96. My Dr. even removed one of my BP meds. The "Cup 'O Noodles" doesn't hurt me one bit, brother grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics