IMPORT into Final Cut from "Canon VIXIA HV30"

Posted by alronn 
IMPORT into Final Cut from "Canon VIXIA HV30"
May 16, 2009 09:43PM
PLEASE!!!!

I'm working on this project (isn't everybody?)... and I'm having a huge problem importing from my Canon VIXIA HV30! I've tried to find answers in several forums, but no luck. In the words of Pink Floyd... IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE who has the answer?

Thanks
Re: IMPORT into Final Cut from "Canon VIXIA HV30"
May 16, 2009 09:58PM
So you just walked into the ER and said you're sick. Do you think with that information anyone could remotely possibly be able to diagnose what might be wrong? If you can't be bothered to give the most rudimentary information about anything at all why should anybody bother to help you?

Start with this: give your full system specifications, what computer, what drives, what camera or deck, how everything's connected, what settings are on the media, what settings you're using in Final Cut, and finally what version of the software, of the OS, and of QuickTime are you using.
May 16, 2009 10:15PM
I appreciate your quick reply.

I'm a new patient... I'll try to answer ALL your questions.
I own a MAC OS X 10.5.6
My Processor is a Dual 2.3 GB GHz PowerPC G5, with a Serial-ATA drive.
The camera I'm using is a Canon HDV VIXIA HD30. I'm connected with a 4/6 pin Firewire cable.
My settings in FCP, I'm guessing by the way, are HDV 1080i60.
And finally, I have version 5.0.4, and Quicktime version 7.6 (472)

I hope that answers everything, Thanks!
May 16, 2009 10:22PM
You still haven't described your "huge problem". What exactly is wrong?

www.derekmok.com
May 16, 2009 10:30PM
Sorry, I'm having problems Importing video form my Canon Vixia hd30 into Final Cut. I've tried numerous settings, but, when I get to the part where i click on the "Log and Capture" button, I always get that rainbow ball and then FCP crashes!
May 17, 2009 08:00AM
"I have version 5.0.4, and Quicktime version 7.6"

That will be at least part of your problem. The OS and QT version you're using are too new for that version of FCP. For versions prior to 5.1 you need an OS version prior to 10.4.11, 10.4.10 or earlier, and a corresponding QT version, 7.3 or earlier. To do this you will need to do a complete reinstall of the OS and your software.
May 17, 2009 09:45AM
Instead of downgrading my OS & QT... what if I upgrade my FCP? Would that solve it?
May 17, 2009 09:51AM
Probably, unless there are other issues as well.
May 17, 2009 09:53AM
Thanks for everything.
I'm going to try that today. Have a good Sunday.
Regards.
Firewire digitizing problems with Panasonic AJ-HD1200A
May 17, 2009 01:45PM
Have used a Panasonic AJ-HD1220A deck for several years importing footage from Varicam and HDX900. In the past week, we have been getting weird problems with the deck when importing footage. It seems to be limited to the Firewire interface, but wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing problems with this deck, possibly connected to a software update from Apple that might cause a glitch with Firewire. BTW - this problem is now occurring on three workstations. These issues (see list below) I just discovered do not occur when I have digitized using a KONA card using the AppleProRes HQ setting. Unfortunately, only one of the workstations has the KONA card. We normally use Panasonic's native DVCPRO HD 720P codec for ingest.

Software:

OS 10.5.6
FCP 6.05
QT 7.6 (742)

Problem first seen:

Video when longer than 3 minutes has the audio is out of sync (delayed) by about 1.5 seconds. If we digitize shorter clips, things seem to stay in sync.

We reset the deck to factory settings. The sync issue seemed to have resolved itself... but then clips would stop digitizing, and we would get the error message that frames were dropped.

It's possible that the deck is having a problem, but it plays back to a monitor just fine, and using the component HD into the KONA card doesn't have any issues either. And since the issue is happening a three different workstations, we have ruled out a hardware issue on the Mac side. We cannot use SDI since we opted not to get a SDI board when we purchased to save the $6,000 cost and use Firewire only.
April 21, 2011 12:48PM
Hello Alronn-
I just came across your situation with trying to load HD footage from a Canon Vixia HD 30 to Final Cut Pro. I am having the same problem, and wonder if you were able to solve it.
I know you wrote about it awhile ago, but I thought you might be able to help me.
Thanks-
Patti
April 21, 2011 08:05PM
OS 10.5.8
FCP 6.02
Quicktime 7.6.4
iMovie 7.1

Possible workaround. Try importing with iMovie. Then move captured clips into FCP.
Works for me.

Ken
April 21, 2011 08:18PM
Unless things have changed a lot in the last few years, it's not a good idea to capture to iMovie then import. iMovie makes the footage into its own format, which is not a good idea if you want to cut it in FCP.

You didn't reply that you'd tried any of my suggestions in your other thread, pdallas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics