OT: Migration from G5 to 8 core

Posted by paulina 
Re: OT: Migration from G5 to 8 core
May 28, 2009 02:10PM
yeah. the two options i suggested is a combo. the first is the card that provides you with the eSATA (e = external) capability and the second is the eSATA raid drive to plug into it.

what eSATA is is simply the most affordable of the "uber-fast" solutions that shane mentioned earlier in the discussion.
May 28, 2009 03:07PM
Paulina,

You do not need both. The CalDigit VR I mentioned previously (using the fastest eSATA port on the unit) is plenty fast enough for all flavors of ProRes...and it's around $700 for a 2 TB RAID:

[eshop.macsales.com]

If you have a MacPro, you don't need an eSATA card as there are eSATA ports already on your Motherboard, The Caldigit VR comes equipped with an eSATA Extender in the box that allows you to piggy-back off your motherboard port:

[www.caldigit.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 28, 2009 05:10PM
You do not need both.

well, thats accurate and its not at the same time.

YES, joey is correct. you do NOT need both - IF you use the caldigit VR solution.
and the caldigit VR is an awesome product and would be a very good choice.

but, the combo that i linked to earlier (of the caldigit fasta card and OWC mercury drive) is about $100 less (and a 2tb version is about the same price) than the VR solution AND gives you 4 external ports, where the VR solution only gives 2

i find their extender marketing info a little confusing. it says that "By not using an eSATA controller card you can save PCI expiation slots and leave more room for more further expansion." it might not use the slot technically, but it sure seems to use the space where youd access the slot... so unless you have a card that doesnt have any kind of ports - the slot is kinda used anyway... maybe there is something im missing...

caldigit however is one of the best companies ive ever had the pleasure of dealing with. customer service is without peer and their products do what they say they'll do for a reasonable price. i got my first taste of caldigit more than two years ago with a fasta card and their svrduo products. i have fasta cards in every desktop mac i have and still have the two duos in production
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics