How to Pack a Sony 14" PVM for Check Through Luggage - London to Bombay?

Posted by MitchSink 
How to Pack a Sony 14" PVM for Check Through Luggage - London to Bombay?
May 23, 2009 08:12PM
Hi,

A friend will be taking a Sony PVM-1444QM 14" CRT from London to Bombay as Check Through Luggage.

Since luggage is subject to inspection I think he needs to have a Hard Case Built that will safely transport the monitor.

David Riddle (in L.A.) ships Sony PVM's packed in cardboard, engineered to withstand 5 drops from 3 feet onto concrete but if they are opened for inspection its almost impossible to repack them (without a staple gun and tape).

He sells hard cases for $500 that can be opened and offer even better protection. But my friend would like to find a less expensive solution than $500 plus shipping to London.

Suggestions or advice very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Mitch
Re: How to Pack a Sony 14" PVM for Check Through Luggage - London to Bombay?
May 23, 2009 09:48PM
Cardboard for overseas transport? Please. Your friend shouldn't be so cheap when transporting gear unless it's not important to them:

[www.pelican.com]

Pelican has a case for everything...and you can drop these out of a moving car with no damage.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 23, 2009 11:36PM
And $500 isn't just an expense. You get a reusable asset.

(Joe, that new picture is scaaary!)

www.derekmok.com
May 24, 2009 12:02AM
Actually the Pelican site has gone a bit scary. Knives, guns, Humvees and all sorts of military picts. Now you can not only store and protect your video equipment but store your M1s and Kalashnikovs. Just in case.

This is marketing on HGH steroids.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 24, 2009 12:07AM
Hi,

grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cardboard for overseas transport? Please. Your
> friend shouldn't be so cheap when transporting
> gear unless it's not important to them:
>
> [www.pelican.com]
>
> Pelican has a case for everything...and you can
> drop these out of a moving car with no damage.

Thanks for the suggestions Joe.

1. The Cardboard I mentioned is actually an multiple layer box structurally engineered and tested for 5 drops from 3 feet onto concrete with Calibrated Sony PVM Series CRT's inside.
2. I specifically said that this wouldn't work due to opening for inspection.
3. I love Pelican Cases. I'll check and see they have a case that will fit. Thanks again for the suggestion!

derekmok Wrote:
>And $500 isn't just an expense.
>You get a reusable asset.

If you have a use for the asset.

Thanks for the input Derek.

Thanks Again!

Mitch
May 24, 2009 04:54AM
those cardboard boxes sound interesting, Mitch.
do you have a link for them?

nick
May 24, 2009 10:51AM
...and Cardboard is NOT waterproof. Drop it all you want from 3 feet...if it sits on a tarmac cart in the rain by chance (Devil's Advocate), you're screwed. Cardboard is not a safe shipping option for heavy electronics no matter how you look at it.

Pelican cases are waterproof - UNDERWATER as well.

May 24, 2009 10:53AM
@ Derek:
I would rather wear a big smile than a camo visor anyday spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

May 24, 2009 12:24PM
If his use is just the one time, he could always sell it used after the fact. Surely he won't get what he paid, but it does reduce the one time cost considerably.

I'll add my $.02 to the Pelican cheering section.
May 25, 2009 03:50AM
Hi Nick,

Nick Meyers Wrote:
> those cardboard boxes sound interesting, Mitch.
> do you have a link for them?
>
>
> nick

David Riddle - Ebay Store

Sells a lot of Sony Broadcast Montitors on Ebay. Prices are high but he tests the internal electronic components, calibrates them (including 6500k grey-scale) and provides a guaranty.

[stores.shop.ebay.com]

PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE M-F 9:00AM-6:00PM PST 1-800-544-3746

I don't think he sells the boxes. He packs the monitors in the boxes (builds the boxes around the monitors he sells and ships). He told me its almost impossible to unpack the monitor and repack it without compromising the strength. He said maybe if you take digital photo's as you take it apart and have access to a heavy duty stapler.

But I think my friend can find a hard case for an affordable price. A friend, who lives in the U.K. builds and repairs musical instruments. I thought he might have experience with shipping fragile instruments so I asked his advice and got this response:

Hi Mitch,

There are many firms that fabricate plywood or plastic flight cases. As it seems to be more or less square it's likely a stock size would fit but I don't think even a one-off would be too expensive.

[www.google.co.uk]

Something like this would be good:
[www.cpcases.com]

or something like this:
[www.cpcases.com]

It looks like he has a lot of affordable options in hard cases.

I also really like Pelican cases but they might not be the best choice. The size selection is limited which might require a bigger heavier case plus it looks like there are lighter cases that will do the job (you really don't want a luggage weight overcharge flying from London to Bombay).

I'll post back what he chooses, how much it costs and, most importantly, how well it works.

Thanks smiling smiley !

Mitch
July 30, 2009 09:13PM
Hi,

MitchSink Wrote:
>
>
> I'll post back what he chooses, how much it costs
> and, most importantly, how well it works.
>
> Thanks smiling smiley !
>
> Mitch

It turns out he didn't need the shipping case:

Unfortunately, when the video monitor arrived from the vendor to my friend in London it was completely broken (in pieces) (both CRT as well as case from the back). My friend spoke to the vendor & sent him photographs and he is arranging to refund the amount as he had some arrangement with DHL. The unit was not packed properly at all. The time was too short for me to consider buying another video monitor from London.

I advised him against that purchase from that seller. This is the last I heard:

I agree with your opinion (not to wait for DHL for reimbursement) and I wrote to the seller about leaving negative feedback as well as Paypal Dispute department. He assured me to give us refund soon... I m still chasing him..

FYI this is what the David Riddle hard case looks like (for an 8" field monitor):

Thanks Again smiling smiley !

Mitch
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics