error: out of memory

Posted by Bret Latter 
error: out of memory
May 29, 2009 10:20AM
I have cut a small photo montoge (83 pics) to three short songs.
My computer is a powerPC G5. Dual 2gig proc. with 4gig ram.
The project is about seven minutes long total with alot of movement of the pics. (tiffs)

The problem I'm having is that it only rendered about the first two thirds of it. ending with the message 'error: out of memory'. I saved what it rendered and tried to re-render the last part again. The 'writing video' progress bar moves along but in the end I get the same message.
Of course the project is due today so I'm alittle stressed. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

bret
Re: error: out of memory
May 29, 2009 10:22AM
oh yea, i'm cutting in 720p60. using pro ress 422.
May 29, 2009 10:22AM
How full are your drives? What are you using for media drives?

debe
May 29, 2009 10:24AM
500gig gtech drive FW800. only 104gigs of drive is full.
May 29, 2009 10:26AM
How large are the TIFF files, in terms of dimensions, file size and dpi? Overlarge still files can throw FCP in for a loop.

www.derekmok.com
May 29, 2009 10:29AM
How about your internal boot drive? How full is that?

(although I'm leaning towards Derek's "Ginormous TIFF Files?)

debe
May 29, 2009 11:00AM
i made a mistake in the the descriptoin of the media I'm using. The photos are jpegs flying over a tiff background. The tiff is 1280x720. The jpegs vary in size.

I think it's working now. I restarted the computer and close all the sequences but the final one I'm rendering on. I rendered for a bit then canceled and the red bar is shrinking now. Crossing my fingers.

thanks for the help!!
bret
Re: error: out of memory (photo stills)
May 29, 2009 12:33PM
Rich-scanned photos do take up memory. One thing you can do to lower the challenge to your CPU is to export those finished animations individually or in groups, in the sequence-native codec (Export>QuickTime Movie), then store the animated photomotions in a "factory clips" folder and replace them with the re-imported export clips. Shouldn't have any issues then.

Best not to use JPG's, however-- often too much compression, artifacting, etc. And make sure all photos are 8-bit per channel RGB, not CMYK, not Grayscale or other.

Don't needlessly overscan flat art. Even faster hardware can bog down. Check this article:
Optimize your scans intelligently.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle Image to Image & Wireframe to Wireframe with W !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 29, 2009 12:58PM
well the problem came back...
I finally found where the problem was though. 8 of the pics i was givin were on cd. And one of them, the one I had a problem with, was 4286x6000. I resized it in photoshop and all is working now.

thanks for all the help!!!
bret
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics