Fade out problem HELP

Posted by dan chapman 
Fade out problem HELP
May 29, 2009 04:26PM
I've tried everything in my limited knowledge.

I have a simple end fade out for my audio on my 8 minute video. It sounds fine in FCP. But when I export as a Quicktime movie, I get a hard cut out of the audio instead of a smooth fade. ????

Am I doing something wrong exporting it?

I already screwed up one deadline because of it. Now I'm on day two and things are not looking (sounding) good.

help
Re: Fade out problem HELP
May 29, 2009 04:32PM
Make sure you're not trying to use AAC, MP3 or other compressed audio media. Final Cut does the best it can, but it often coughs up unpredictable glitches when dealing with compressed media, and audio is regrettably no exception.

May 29, 2009 04:47PM
It's an .aif file. Sounds fine in FCP but exporting it as a self-contained movie creates a hard shelf at the end of the fade. So it sounds like the music cuts off.

This is frustrating. I'm trying to enter a competition, but this is spoiling it.
May 29, 2009 04:58PM
Are you doing an "audio mixdown" before you export from FCP? The consequences of NOT doing it can be peculiar and unpredictable.

Sequence > Render Only > Mixdown, or Cmd-Opt-R.

Scott
May 29, 2009 05:08PM
OK. That's right. I just discovered a Mixdown Audio box that I left unchecked when nesting.

Let me ask you this: When saving as a Quicktime movie, should I be checking the box "Recompress All Frames" ??

Not sure about that one.

Dual 2.5 Ghz G5, 5GB SDRAM, FCP 6.0.6, QT 7.6.2, OS 10.4.11
May 29, 2009 05:32PM
Be sure to do that mixdown on your finished sequence as I described just before exporting.

There was a debate here a few weeks ago on the merits of "recompress", but in general there is no good reason to do it, and good reasons not to - it just adds another compression hit. I doubt it has any bearing on your audio problem.

Scott
May 29, 2009 05:57PM
Woah, woah. Go back. Nesting? There's your problem.

May 29, 2009 06:14PM
Please tell me.

Is there a problem with nesting? I was told to nest by a reliable source. But it was a while ago.

May 29, 2009 08:50PM
Just chalk it up to a personal prejudice on my part. An appalling number of questions I hear beginning with "I'm having a Final Cut problem" include the phrase "so I nested my timelines."

I understand there are a few situations where you have to nest timelines, but I've never personally encountered one, so I don't remember what they are.

May 31, 2009 02:13PM
Also...

What's wrong with AAC audio?

May 31, 2009 10:17PM
It's heavily compressed. The sweet spot in audio file formats for FCP is AIF or DV PCM 48K.

The nesting business-- wasn't made clear-- did you ramp your tail gain INSIDE the nest or apply the ramp to the nest gain itself? A mixdown would preserve the former while creating the nest or when invoked as mentioned by Scott above-- the latter may need an audio render (Render All - Option-R)-- otherwise your Export may have no fade precompute to draw on, thus leaving you high and dry.

No, I wouldn't recompress frames!

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle Image to Image & Wireframe to Wireframe with W !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 31, 2009 11:53PM
> The nesting business-- wasn't made clear-- did you
> ramp your tail gain INSIDE the nest or apply the
> ramp to the nest gain itself? A mixdown would
> preserve the former while creating the nest or
> when invoked as mentioned by Scott above-- the
> latter may need an audio render (Render All -
> Option-R)-- otherwise your Export may have no fade
> precompute to draw on, thus leaving you high and
> dry.

I rendered before and after nesting, but didn't check the Mixdown Audio box. When I check it, my problem was solved. But now I'm saving for the web and am going too try my compressed file audio without AAC. Last time I put the AAC up on the web, it sounded fine in Quicktime but not the MP3 audio for Flash FLV files.
June 01, 2009 01:51PM
[Last time I put the AAC up on the web, it sounded fine in Quicktime but not the MP3 audio for Flash FLV files.]

Sure, everything sounds fine in QuickTime! :-(

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle Image to Image & Wireframe to Wireframe with W !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics