Repair shops near Ventura County? Dog lifted leg!

Posted by camshaft 
Repair shops near Ventura County? Dog lifted leg!
May 30, 2009 04:54PM
Hi, all,

G5 Dual on floor, lots of ram, upgraded video card, second internal hard drive, classic........... and my new dog frigging peed on it!! Got inside and onto fans, drops on mother board, and one ram module, and lord knows what else.

Have taken it apart and cleaned what I could find with rubbing alcohol. Cannot get far with video displays sometimes coming up, then computer freezing, a nice widget looking error prompt to shut down the computer, and on and on. Same thing with starting from CD.

It all started with the fans running at high speed continuously. Activity Monitor showed no hidden cpu monsters, and would do the same when started from Carbon Copied external HD.
Then the monitor displays wouldn't come up, then I discovered..........THE PEE!!

This is past my expertise, and need someone who can check motherboard, ram sockets, did the pee get blown by the fans into other critical areas.

Looking for someone trustworthy besides the Apple Store in Thousand Oaks, which may be my last option.

Any help GREATLY appreciated, except for the obvious "keep the dog outta the edit bay".

Thanks,

Cameron Young
Re: Repair shops near Ventura County? Dog lifted leg!
May 30, 2009 08:05PM
I haven't come across a technician that's urine-savvy. I would change the name of that dog to "Pee-C" (little Mac-hater!!).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 30, 2009 08:17PM
Hi Cameron:

I live in Camarillo. There is a Mac shop in Ventura, not sure if they do repair but I have seen their ads. I cannot locate a website or ad for them but the store had the name Mac something in it.

This guy is in Simi [drpc1.homestead.com]

Here is a part time guy [ventura.craigslist.org]

If I were in your position with a Pee soaked Mac, I would take it to the Apple Store at The Oaks.

Dan
May 31, 2009 04:12AM
was it powered on when the assault happened? i cant imagine that having a huge effect unless it was powered when the moisture contacted...

i dont know if this is any comfort, but i had a mac laptop that took on a floor full of tap water a few years ago. for the first few days it wouldnt power up, then after like a week of drying time all was back to normal...

however fwiw, this is another reason that even though i love them, i dont keep dogs in my house. at least cats have the brains to piss in a box
May 31, 2009 11:30AM

at least cats have the brains to piss in a box

Wish mine did. Nothing like laying down to sleep and discovering a puddle in your bed. Ugghh.

Sorry about your G5, I hope it resurrects. As far as the urine situation, if your Mac still stinks of urine then the dog might try to pee on it again. There's a line of products called Nature's Miracle that removes the odor (and stains). But you'll need to break the dog out of this behavior quick otherwise it'll do it again.

JK
May 31, 2009 01:30PM
Yeah might be fried unfortunately but it could be a single component to replace. Any time liquid gets into your machine shut it down immediately. Dry all internal surfaces thoroughly and then just wait a couple of days. A computer can survive immersion fine as long as it's not powered. As soon as electricity and water meet the possibility of permanent damage goes way up.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
May 31, 2009 06:14PM
Thanks for your responses, people.

I replaced two of the ram modules, got to a hardware test which reported everything fine, started up off of external drive, ran Disk Utility which reported bad volume, tried CC Cloner but could not clone, so back to Disk Utility, erase disk, THEN cloned, and right now it was successful. So, hopefully I will start up and get running smoothly again.

It's nice that RAM has dropped in price over the years, eh?

Soon as I'm back to "normal" am going to put the tower on top of my desk. Will suck up some real estate, but out of reach of legs getting lifted.

Cameron Young
May 31, 2009 06:34PM
Um...Cam...you should look into getting that entire box professionally cleaned - in & out. Even if you don't smell it now...that thing will STINK to high heaven of old urine every time the CPU warms up the inner case and cooks what's left of the pee-pee inside. Your office will smell like a litter box forever.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 31, 2009 09:52PM
Could be a way to ward off the over-tinkering client though...

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
June 01, 2009 02:13AM
OucH--
You could try a product called LPS #1 --
LPS is like Magic- I used to use it on my MotoX bikes when they still
had point ignition-- one drop of water on the points would kill it--

put LPS#1 on the points I could spray water from a garden hose
on the points and the bike would not miss a beat --
it displaces water --jay--
June 02, 2009 09:42AM
"Pee-C" now that's funny.

We call LPS "engine overhaul in a can", makes your engine look and smell great, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for the inside of a computer.

Joe is right about the smell, especially if it was a female dog.

Depending how brave you might be you can UNPLUG your Mac, get a spray bottle with water, a blow dryer, some Q-Tips and microfiber towels and gently clean everything inside your computer. It won't hurt anything as long as you use deionized water and make real sure it is completely dry before assembling and turning it back on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics