Loud fan noise after installing PCI port card FW800

Posted by Dorian 
Loud fan noise after installing PCI port card FW800
May 30, 2009 06:25PM
Hi- I installed a PCI card and when I powered my compuuter back on there is an exteremely loud fan niose and no image on screen - just a blank screen with a loud fan noise. How bad is this? How can I trouble shoot?

Thx,
Dorian
Re: Loud fan noise after installing PCI port card FW800
May 30, 2009 09:27PM
you sure that card is mac compatible? if it doesnt say it is, it VERY likely isnt.
May 31, 2009 02:33AM
Hi Thanks for your reply --yes it is according to its specs "Compatible with the Power Macintosh G5! This card is fully compatible with the Power Macintosh G5 (all PCI and PCI-X versions)"-- Could something else be the problem? I tried different slots- when I use it in slot 2 the comptuer makes a VERY loud fan noise and does not launch the operating system- in slot 3, G5 turns fine on but FW ports pn PCI card don't work. slot four is to close to some wires and Im not sure iys a good idea to use.
May 31, 2009 03:12AM
dunno... maybe you have a PCI-e model? and yes, over the years, various cards have had slot order preferences...

first order(s) of biz:
1. dumb question, but you DO have a G5 and not an intel mac right?
2. can you confirm that your G5 does NOT have PCI-e?
May 31, 2009 06:16AM
I don't remember off the top of my head, but I don't think a PCI Express card will fit in a PCI slot. I think they're physically different slots.

The first troubleshooting step is obviously to pull the card and see if your system starts up normally again. If it doesn't, it's not the card.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics