Converting QT to Flash video

Posted by Sheryl 
Converting QT to Flash video
June 03, 2009 01:15PM
With the final goal of posting my FCP Quicktime on the internet, for a couple of years I've been going through the very same process. I drag the QT into Adobe Flash encoder. I click settings, then crop and resize, then resize video. I uncheck "Maintain Aspect Ratio." I type in the preferred display size, in this case 427 pixels wide x 240 pixels high. Everything else is left at the Flash Encoder default.

When the encoding is complete, my memory has it that two files appear on my desktop. One is .flv and the other is .swf. For some reason it is only producing the .flv so when I upload this to my server in order to get it placed on a website, the source material in .swf is not available and therefore if shows up as a .mov.

Has there been an update that I don't know about? Can anyone help me?

Sheryl
Re: Converting QT to Flash video
June 03, 2009 01:43PM
i don't use adobe.

2 things

On2 Flixpro does the best job for flv or swf PERIOD. that my opinion but i think you will find many that say different.

i just recently purchased DVKitchen which does x264 a somewhat alternate version of h264. x264 plays nearly everywhere that flv will. Plus its even nicer than h264 because it preserves the contrast (really gamma). Higher quality @1000kbps in every area, over flv @2000kbps.

if you need to get to the web nicely use FLIXPRO or DVKitchen.

flix flv 2000kbps is real nice too i would say within 15% of the 1000kbps h264

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
June 03, 2009 03:38PM
Hi Sheryl,

Adobe Flash Encoder only produces .flv files. Flash itself, makes the .swf file. Previously, (Presuming you have Flash 8/CS3/CS4) you were probably working in Flash and used the "Import Video" menu, which calls Media Encoder. Flash also creates one or two additional SWF files (The player) and a template html file, which need to be uploaded to your final site.

If you have the player swf configured for the correct size, along with the html page, you can use Adobe Media Encoder to create the .fla file, and simply plug the .flv into your site. However, .flv files are not intended to play standalone, like .mov or .wmv files.

On2 Flix will create the .swf and html files for you if you ask it to.

Also, since the release of Flash player 10, you can use standard h.264 .mov files directly from FCP without the need for further re-encoding, so long as you have the player .swf and web .html. H.264 generally produces better video vs. bandwidth, but can't provide alpha channel.

Example of using FCP encoding for flash video at varying bandwidth rates: www.hd-vo.com

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
June 05, 2009 07:48PM
Watch the movie in this post for the ultimate method of publishing Flash on the web:

1. Watch the new movie here:

[www.dvcreators.net]

2. download the free DV Kitchen 20 day trial and test it with your own movies

3. when you purchase, MAKE SURE YOU TYPE:

lafcpug

in the "referral code" field to get your discount and help support your friendly neighborhood LAFCPUG!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics