Do these files need to be so big?

Posted by shelleyrae 
Do these files need to be so big?
June 08, 2009 01:05PM
Hi everyone -

I'm working with source footage that is only available on DVD. I'm using Mpeg Streamclip to extract the VOB file and exporting it as QT with settings: Apple FC uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 at 100% quality.

The VOB file is only 1023.8 mb -- the video is an hour long. The QT file turns out to be 83 gigs with this setting. While I want to retain the best quality because it's coming from a compressed format to begin with, is there another setting to try that would retain the integrity of the video but yield a smaller file?

Thanks for your advice,

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Do these files need to be so big?
June 08, 2009 01:33PM
Use ProRes 422. It's about 10:1 compressed, but you can't see it.

(Oops. I meant about 4:1 compressed. It's about 6:1 for HD for ProRes 422 HQ, 10:1 for HD for ProRes 422, 2:1 for SD for ProRes 422 HQ and about 4:1 for SD for ProRes 422. All ratios are really, really approximate.)

Re: Do these files need to be so big?
June 08, 2009 01:37PM
Is there really any benefit to going ProRes vs. DV when pulling from a DVD? Outside of matching your current projects' specs of course. I know it's more compressed (especially in the color space) but is the footage really going to look that much better?

JK

June 08, 2009 01:52PM
Christ, yes.

At 25 megabits per second, DV has nominally greater quality than the MPEG-2 at eight (ish) megabits you find on DVD. But they're totally different formats. DVD, just to pick one example, uses 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, while all uncompressed formats are 4:2:2. But NTSC DV is 4:1:1. When you go from uncompressed to DVD you're throwing away half your potential chroma resolution (4:2:2 to 4:2:0), but when you go from DVD to DV you're throwing away half again (4:2:0 to 4:1:1).

DV is a total piece of @#$%& format, pardon my language. The only reason to works in DV ever are (a) if your footage originated in DV; you can stay in that format very effectively through your whole workflow, or (b) if you're offlining for a later uncompressed finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics