Tony Scott film effect

Posted by hunterlee 
Tony Scott film effect
June 09, 2009 01:40AM
I was wondering if anyone knew what effect was used in Tony Scott's films where it looks like there are same copy images of the actor trailing each other. It almost looks like a strobe effect. Any ideas?
Re: Tony Scott film effect
June 09, 2009 10:22AM
Which Tony Scott Films (he's Directed 26 / Produced 32 Films & TV shows)? It would be easier to answer if you have a link to a sample of what you are trying to accomplish...

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 09, 2009 12:48PM
I know what he means. Like in DOMINO or MAN ON FIRE. That trick normally is done in camera. I knew a DP (Bob Richardson) who used an old hand crank Mitchell to do this. He'd wind it forward, stop, wind it backwards, stop, wind it forward again...thus producing a triple image. Not sure if this is what the DPs for Tony Scott do. But because the image get brighter (result of multiple exposure) it seems like what they are doing.

You can always layer several of the same shot and then play with the COMPOSITE MODES, like SCREEN or OVERLAY or ADD.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 09, 2009 01:08PM
Thats exactly it. The Scott Brothers love that hand cranked effect. Kind of gets in the way after awhile and the case can be made they used it way to much, especially in Man on Fire, but it is kind of cool.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 09, 2009 01:48PM
Didn't see either...so please post a link to a sample for reverse engineering. A lot of "in camera" FX can be convincingly re-created in Post.

June 09, 2009 06:24PM
I think he means the effect found at the 00:23 to 00:29sec mark.

Or the one at 00:54 to 00:56sec mark.

[www.dailymotion.com]

At least, these are what I think of when people say the Tony Scott effect.
June 09, 2009 06:37PM
:23 to :24 is just a camera flash...that's what you get by starting and stopping the camera a lot. But at the :54 to :56 mark is what is known as the "Tony Scott Effect."

As I said, layer your video and play with COMPOSITE modes.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 09, 2009 09:49PM
Hold on...it's not that simple...they are not JUST composite modes. There's a lot of compositing going on in there...dozens of different frames offset in time as well as time remapped. Some of them look like separated color channels.

And for the record...in my 9 years in this business I didn't know there was such a thing as a "Tony Scott Effect". First time I saw anything like this I think it was in Natural Born Killers (Oliver Stone).

June 09, 2009 11:55PM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
First time I saw anything
> like this I think it was in Natural Born Killers
> (Oliver Stone).

That is how I know about it. Bob Richardson was the DP on that, and on the film I apprenticed on, U-TURN. He used that on a few scenes. I got to see them do it on the set, and see what it looked like.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics