HELLA OT - running windows on your production machines

Posted by wayne granzin 
HELLA OT - running windows on your production machines
June 09, 2009 04:31PM
do any of you run windows (via bootcamp, paralells, or whatever) on your production FCP machines? and if so have you seen any problems?

im getting kinda tired of running upstairs to my PC to do quickbooks invoicing and was considering putting it on my octocore.

i would probably install a second internal physical drive to serve as my windows drive... would that be smart?

admittedly i dont know JACK about running windows on a mac.
Re: HELLA OT - running windows on your production machines
June 09, 2009 05:06PM
Are the machines running on a network?
Download RDC from "%&$#" Microsoft and you will solve bouth problems, running upstairs and wasting resources of your mac

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
June 09, 2009 05:10PM
Booting Windows off another hard drive (like an external) would be no different from booting into another version of Mac OS X. I can't imagine a problem there. Except for the fact that you have to reboot, obviously.

I wouldn't recommend any other solution. Especially stuff like Parallels. I like Parallels; I own a license myself. But it installs all sorts of low-level bits and pieces, and why take the risk of horking up your edit system just to save you a reboot?

June 09, 2009 05:16PM
If it's something that's not majorly processor intensive such as word processing, spreadsheets or invoicing- sure just run in Parallels. It should not affect anything else on the computer. But that said, there are some great invoicing programs for Mac that are a lot more fun to use than crummy Windoze.

[www.billingsapp.com]

[stuntsoftware.com]

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
June 09, 2009 05:19PM
If I were still in my small-business phase, I wouldn't consider replacing Quickbooks with an alternative like that in a million years. But maybe that's just me.

June 09, 2009 05:32PM
I wouldn't consider replacing Quickbooks with an alternative like that in a million years.

HA! thats a WHOLE other thread. i have a passionate hate/HATE relationship with quickbooks. and about every similar other (mac and win) solution ive tried...
June 09, 2009 05:41PM
Right because Quickbooks is just so amazing to use...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
June 09, 2009 05:56PM
You can get Quickbooks for the Mac: QBooks 2009 Might be just as much as buying that second drive.

Otherwise if you do decide to run Windows then make sure you have the latest Service Pack (SP) installed, run something like SpyBot and if for the love of gawd don't use the internet unless absolutely necessary. The good news is that if you do use a separate drive then your main system drive will not be affected if your Windoze drive gets infected. Hopefully smiling smiley

JK

June 10, 2009 12:46AM
You can get Quickbooks for the Mac: QBooks 2009
thanks for the link. ive already bought one quickbooks seat. not really wanting to spend more money on a hackneyed-ass software package...

thanks for all the help. but can we please stay on track of the original post...?
June 10, 2009 12:49AM
if you do decide to run Windows then make sure you have the latest Service Pack (SP) installed, run something like SpyBot and if for the love of gawd don't use the internet unless absolutely necessary. The good news is that if you do use a separate drive then your main system drive will not be affected if your Windoze drive gets infected. Hopefully smiling smiley

thanks john, thats the kinda "whythehellwouldyoubotherrunningashiityassOSlikewindowsanyway" response that i was looking for ; )
June 10, 2009 12:58AM
Take a breath. Me thinks you are reading into what is not being said here. Lets end this thread.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics