OT - Got a PowerPC Mac: prepare to say good-bye

Posted by NoahK 
OT - Got a PowerPC Mac: prepare to say good-bye
June 10, 2009 06:50PM
[www.macrumors.com]

Despite all the reports that Mac OS X Snow Leopard would only support Intel machines, some users held onto hope that PowerPC chips might be supported. Apple, however, has posted the technical requirements for the upcoming Mac OS X operating system and it does indeed require an Intel processor.

The full list of general requirements include:

- Mac computer with an Intel processor
- 1GB of memory
- 5GB of free disk space
- DVD drive for installation

Apple first announced that they were switching from PowerPC to Intel processors in June 2005 and finally completed the transition in August 2006. Since then, all shipping Macs have contained Intel-based processors. Apple's Mac OS X Snow Leopard will be released in September.

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Re: OT - Got a PowerPC Mac: prepare to say good-bye
June 10, 2009 07:26PM
I don't listen to anything that has the word "rumors" in the title...but isn't this moot already? PPC's have been dead for a year already. Like I said in another thread...I have been BETA testing for Red Giant Software and one by one the plug-ins are becoming Intel-only.

Looks like my 11 year old will be playing online games on a $4500 Quad soon.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 10, 2009 07:31PM
Not a rumor those are the official specs, I just mentioned it because I know a lot of folks in this forum still use G5s and Powerbooks.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
June 10, 2009 07:34PM
My G5 2.5 blew up last week and not its me and my Intel laptop. Hated that G5. Slow and clunky and it finnally leaked water on the processors.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 10, 2009 07:35PM
Dude...the folks that are still on PPCs are gonna stay on them for as long as they possibly can. Has nothing to do with what's coming out. Many peeps are still running OS 10.4 / FCP5 on PPCs and are quite content...not even looking at upgrading yet. These "rumor" sites and new specs are for those of us that have to have the latest and greatest (and can afford it).

...right Ben?

June 10, 2009 07:36PM
Glad to hear it Mike - 'bout time. That was the worst of the G5 family. I had one at the Golf Channel. The fans sounded like a hair dryer most of the time.

June 10, 2009 07:52PM
These "rumor" sites and new specs are for those of us that have to have the latest and greatest (and can afford it).

These new specs are not rumors. They are facts. PPC is dead. Long live Intel...until the next processor comes out.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 10, 2009 08:03PM
That's why I said it was moot - Oy. Long Live Intel!!

Anybody want a Quad...CHEAP?

June 10, 2009 08:05PM
Oh, geez. People, it's not like all those existing Power Mac G5s are going to evaporate the day Snow Leopard is released. PowerPC is "dead" only in the sense that no new ones are being manufactured. The two I've got at work are still humming along just fine, and I don't have any reason to think, barring hardware failure, that that's going to change in the foreseeable future.

We've had a lot of chatter this week about Apple stuff, which is fine because it directly affects how us Final Cut editors do our jobs. But come on, this is getting ridiculous.

June 10, 2009 08:27PM
Mike you just spent $500.00 on a new power supply for that machine and now it's dead? Bummer!

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
June 10, 2009 08:30PM
Yeah.

drinking smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 10, 2009 08:36PM

June 10, 2009 09:28PM
And the fact is, I never got the feeling that PowerPC users (myself being one of them) had any illusions about continued support. I still have Internet Explorer 5.2 from 2003 on mine, fer cryin' out loud.

And I never bothered to try upgrading to Leopard, either. No need, no desire. (Also because I only do about 30 per cent of my gigs on my own personal computer) My next computer will be Intel, and it'll have a bug-free advanced version of Snow Leopard on it.

www.derekmok.com
June 10, 2009 09:33PM
Yeah...I Will tell you, my Quad is still rock solid on 10.4.11...still using the Kona LHe / KL-Box with it and it doesn't drop a frame no matter what I am capturing to my Caldigit FirewireVR units.

Hey - wait a minute...the FirewireVR units are also EOL. Son of a $%#!@%)!*_*!^!!!

June 10, 2009 09:37PM
I am not going to give up hope that Apple will think twice and give me Snow leopard support for the two 9600's with Avid version 2.0 inside those workhorses.grinning smiley

To this day, never had a problem with them. I beat those babies and they never would complain. When I think about how many $$$ I spent on those things I cringe.
June 10, 2009 10:01PM
and it'll have a bug-free advanced version of Snow Leopard on it.

I'm ordering that too. Only lafcpug members can get it. Those with Ponies anyway.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 11, 2009 12:15AM
Noah wrote -

[I know a lot of folks in this forum still use G5s and Powerbooks. ]

And at least one poor soul still on a G4 Dual 800!

Michael wrote-

[My G5 2.5 blew up last week and not its me and my Intel laptop. Hated that G5. Slow and clunky and it finnally leaked water on the processors.]

Whoa! Stop right there. You LOVED that G5. You need to call Apple right now. Mike Pliskin, who has photographed several SF SuperMeets for you, had the exact same thing happen. Apple quietly replaced his machine with an INTEL unit...

This was just last year. Call in controlled outrage which will of course be your honest attitude.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle Image to Image & Wireframe to Wireframe with W !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 11, 2009 12:25AM
Actually it is a pretty common problem for the 2.5 G5s so I heard. Right now its in my garage where a family of nasty looking female black widow spiders have taken up residence. Damn if I'm going near that computer until those big ugly things move back to my garage door opener.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 11, 2009 04:32AM
Its interesting that people ever thought that Snow Leopard was ever going to be on PPC...

It was always said that it would be an under-the-hood revamp to specifically recode to make it intel native.

It has however turned into slightly more and there are some significant updates to the structure and some of the functionality.

But it still remains the same - intel only.

"Sustainable progress is only made by moving forward on solid foundations."

Except in the case of Microshaft, where they have a virtual monopoly and can make "progress" on the shakiest most rickety scaffold of copy-cat patents and buy outs.

Still, I hear from friends that Windows 7 is a real attempt to catch up with Apple and I hear it flies like the proverbial Michael Horton away from old G5 with Spiders in...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 11, 2009 12:21PM
Mike,
Take it down to the Apple Store. I think they replace the Motherboards for you if you can prove that the leaking coolant fried your innards.

K.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
June 11, 2009 01:43PM
Take it to Pep Boys...they're having a special on radiators winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics