FCP vs AE on 30s workflows

Posted by J.Corbett 
FCP vs AE on 30s workflows
June 12, 2009 01:44PM
i am about 8hrs in on a 14hr tutorial on AE. In my spare time i have been trying any and everything i can in AE. Its relatively an easy program to use.

So for those who use both programs, somewhat evenly, in a professional capacity. I wonder when you decide to cut in AE.

I would think that it would be better to cut in fcp when a project exceeds 1m. However, i am kinda thinking it would better to edit 30s commercials in AE, especially if the 30 has a mid-level to extreme amount of motion graphics.

Text is easy in most decent programs so text could be generated anywhere. Motion text could be a part of the elements within an fcp project.
color effects could be done in Color or FCP or AE.

so to wrod the question is there a vague number of anticipated motion graphics, special effects, and/or composite elements that start triggering the " i need to use AE " thought?

here are some examples of what i think belongs in FCP and AE.

FCP

AE

[www.youtube.com]

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: FCP vs AE on 30s workflows
June 12, 2009 01:57PM
I edit in FCP and I composite and do special FX in either AE or Motion. It's an apples and oranges question for me. FCP is an editing program, AE is a compositing program.

There are times when I have to make the decision when to use Motion and when to use AE though.

Andy
Re: FCP vs AE on 30s workflows
June 12, 2009 02:44PM
thank for the reply.

I should think about Ae for edit unless the commercial is all composites. so AFTER i edit then i do the EFFECTs. I should think of it like motions big brother. Meaning that i am gonna be deciding whether motion has enough to do it or if i need to do it in AE which seems more robust in compositing and color management.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics