OS upgrade before I leap?

Posted by DM 
DM
OS upgrade before I leap?
June 13, 2009 06:28PM
been using 10.5.4

have a need to upgrade to at least 10.5.5 for some new software. Any warnings about the upgrades between this and 10.5.7?

thx

FC suite 5.1.4
Re: OS upgrade before I leap?
June 13, 2009 06:29PM
For a while there, Caldigit wasn't supporting anything past 10.5.5. But I think they're up to at least 10.5.6.

What's the software you need to upgrade for, and are you sure you need to install it on your production system?

DM
June 13, 2009 06:43PM
Er....well....Academic version of.Avid media composer 3.5 !! thumbs up

Actually had it installed on my Mac Pro under 10.5.5 and it was a disaster. Major crashing and hanging up. One time it crashed and when I restarted it, it asked for the authorization codes as if it had never been installed. Last time it caved, it locked up the whole machine.

I also have a Macbook Pro with 10.5.4 on it. Minimum for AMC is 10.5.5 doesn't seem likely that Avid Media composer would be unstable but......I know there are a few X avid editors around here.

Mac book pro 17"
Mac Pro dual quad 2.8 harperstown
6 gigs of RAM
ATI graphics
June 13, 2009 06:45PM
You emphatically do not want to install Media Composer on just-any-old Mac. It wants extremely specific software configuration in order to run properly. I've heard of people using both Final Cut and Avid on the same system ? like installed on the same partition ? but it's fraught with peril.

Get yourself another disk, and read and carefully follow Avid's installation instructions.

DM
June 13, 2009 06:50PM
gee, sounds just like the sister application i.e. Pro Tools. the finger smiley
June 13, 2009 06:54PM
Yup, that one's on the list as well. If you want to use ProTools and Media Composer on the same system, you can, as long as you install them in just the right order. I don't remember what that order is, but it's got something to do with key audio components.

And, of course, they won't both run correctly at the same time.

And before anyone thinks of mocking that, how many times a week do we hear people say "My Final Cut isn't working right for some reason, I rebuilt my desktop and zapped my PRAM and that didn't fix it, it couldn't possibly be any of the eleven hundred other applications, utilities and random crap I downloaded off the Internet, so clearly Final Cut sucks?"

June 16, 2009 08:03PM
Hey guys, I'm on 10.5.5 powering Kona LHe (because 10.5.6 was all bugged out). Now 10.5.7 is here, as is a new Quicktime. Has anyone had any issues with the new QT or the new OS?
June 16, 2009 11:20PM
10.5.7 / QT 7.6.2 is all good on both my MBP (intel) and Quad PPC. Caldigit is up to speed on 10.5.7, btw. The CalDigit VR Firmware v1.42 is some kind of inside joke...double click the ZIP file, get a .BIN file. Double click, get a .BIN.CPGZ file (?). Double click, get another .BIN file. All ZIPPED files. What's up with this, Jon??

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 17, 2009 05:27PM
Joey & All Interested.

On the CalDigit VR

Just unzip the following file where should have one bin file
[www.caldigit.com]

The bin file is the firmware file that you need to update from RAIDTool.

Incidentally. Happy 9th Birthday LAFCPUG.

Lauren O'Grady & Jared Picune will be at the Gallery theatre tonight, while I'm stuck here at work......Say "Hi" to them if you go tonight.
June 17, 2009 07:53PM
Hey Jon,

I updated my RAID Toolkit to 1.9 and downloaded the 1.42 firmware. I launched the RAID Toolkit and clicked the "Firmware Update" icon and it's blank. What do I do with the .BIN file?

June 17, 2009 08:00PM
...and I clicked "Online Update" in RAID Tool and it said "No new version available". I am on 1.33 (sorry to hijack this thread a bit but I think it relates to my recent 10.5.7 upgrade and you all with CalDigit gear may want to know the answers grinning smiley ).

June 18, 2009 12:27PM
Joey,

Try this:

[www.caldigit.com]

To update the VR firmware, launch the RAID Tool located in
Applications\CalDigit_RAID_Tool folder.

Choose the VR you want to update, then click on the firmware update icon.

Press the Control and F keys then select the firmware bin file.
June 18, 2009 01:00PM

Press the Control and F keys then select the firmware bin file.

Ahhhh...that command I could not find anywhere. I will try it when I get back to the home studio (the VR is not with me today).

Thanks a lot Jon - as usual, you are right on top of things thumbs down

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics