setting up a small server for file sharing

Posted by rpearlster 
setting up a small server for file sharing
June 19, 2009 12:53PM
We're getting to the point in the film I'm cutting where I would really like to set up a RAID or something like that so that my assistants and I can all access the same media at the same time.

I'm vaguely aware of a way to configure some firewire drives to do this with a piece of mystery (to me) hardware. I'm not clear how

Does anyone know how I would do this? We only need a relatively small one (2 or 3 TB - wow that sounds like alot though).

thoughts?

thanks
Rachel
Re: setting up a small server for file sharing
June 19, 2009 01:30PM
There are two ways to do this. One is pretty easy, but probably will not answer your need. The other is far more complex.

The first is to set up file sharing on the drives on both computers. You can then see drives on other computers. If you use gigE networking between systems this can be pretty quick, tho probably not fast enough for regular editing. It is best used to copy elements between systems.

The second way to go is with a SAN or Storage Area Network. These usually use Fiber Channel connections. There are some that work with gigE, but most folks go with the Fiber setup. This requires both hardware and software to set up. In addition to a Fiber channel RAID, you also need a Fiber switch and Fiber cards in each computer. Most often these will also use a separate computer that does nothing but administer the network.

There is also software to consider, and it can cost about $1K per seat. If you are very computer savvy it is possible to do this yourself. You will spend a significant amount of time studying, and probably more cursing.

You may want to find someone in your area who does this, and have them set it up for you. Others here may have some recommendations for you.

-Vance
June 19, 2009 01:54PM
I would talk to people that do this for a living...not some forum folks who created something out of trial and error. I would ask my friend Jon @ CalDigit:

jons@caldigit.com

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 19, 2009 02:23PM
Two computers...easy and simple. 3 or more...well then, you start getting into Ethernet switchers and computer servers and the like. Even a 2-3TB SAN will run you close to $10,000. Is that in your budget?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 19, 2009 02:45PM
Get an Airport Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet and use the file sharing to share the Drive - its extremely easy.

Just work off different projects and transfer edits via cut and paste into each others edit.

Just work out and extremely logical file naming convention.

Over GigE will work for anything up to ProRes HQ depending on your RAID performance which you can attach to one of the Macs.

In a bit there will be my review of the DroboPro on the LAFCPUG site which I had 3 Macs running off it via GigE as I described above - will link it once it it up.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 19, 2009 02:47PM
Ben...AIRPORT EXTREME? Are you suggesting networking via WIRELESS for video?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 19, 2009 02:56PM
Haha no my dear people!

The Airport Extreme Base Station is a 4 port GigE switch/router as well as 802.11a/b/g Wireless.

I suggest you read my article its very simple. Only the mods have access to it at the moment I'm just waiting on Mike to ok it and link it up.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 19, 2009 03:03PM
Its up now

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 19, 2009 03:09PM
Thanks Mike - no get on that plane to the UK or you'll miss the weekend drinking British Stylee!

June 19, 2009 03:31PM
I'm flying American so no booze unless you want to pay 10.00 a drink. Can't wait to land and head for the nearest pub. As long as there are pubs still left in the UK.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 19, 2009 05:30PM
Nice review.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 19, 2009 06:39PM
Thanks Shane

June 23, 2009 08:51PM
thanks!

Dobro seems to be the way to go if we can get together the $. Kinda tight now.

can you use Airport Extreme to read the data from a drive attached to another computer? (I know, it's a basic question). If so, can both computers use the same data or do you run into the same issues as connecting both computers to the same hard drive.

rap
June 23, 2009 10:18PM
If you read the article - I had no problem connecting 3 Macs to the same data.

One Mac with dual Ethernet ports will be the "server" for the Drobo and then this Mac attaches to the Network - in my case an Airport Extreme - however a simple Gigabit Ethernet switch would suffice.

You can set up the DroboPro Connected to the Switcher/Hub but you will need to set the IP of the DroboPro in the Drobo Dashboard which is easy to do however it will still need to be "served" by one of the Macs to handle the sharing.

Make sure you get CAT-6 cables Ethernet cables - not CAT-5E which are ok but I use CAT-6 for GigE and not had any issues... yet!

June 23, 2009 11:17PM
cool.

Let me ask you this. If I didn't have a Dobo, could I use my computer as a server with a regular firewire drive to connect via Ethernet Switch with file sharing?

Rachel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics