From Color to FCP timecode slip issue.

Posted by Francois-Michel 
From Color to FCP timecode slip issue.
June 25, 2009 12:13PM
Hi guys,
Today i noticed something really strange with a project colored in COLOR. I dont know if its a known issue.

I imported a project from Color to FCP to strip the audio mix. I had 2 timelines opened ; the one (original) without the color correction and the new one from color. I noticed that the timecode in each cuts in the timeline from color had changed from 1 to 3 frames. Each cut are exactly the same at the same place on the timleine, the first frame( visually ) is matching perfectly between the original timeline and the one from color but the timecode (audio and video ) on each clips is not the same anymore.

Usually when i import back a sequence from color to FCP i add some handle ( 5 frames ), i noticed that on some clips in the timeline from color, those handles were randomly inexact. i mean that some clips had only 2 or 3 frames at the beginning and 7 or 8 frames at the end, not 5 frames at the start and end of the clip.

Is it a known issue ?

Also, just to let you guys know, i heard today that when you export an OMF in FCP from a 23.98 timeline, that OMF files is somehow tagged 24fps. When you open it in Protools it will recognize it as a 24fps file not a 23.98. I know 23.98 and 24 is almost the same but could it create some Off sync issue if a mixer is mixing a 23.98 OMF files in 24fps in protools ?

Thanks guys.
Re: From Color to FCP timecode slip issue.
June 25, 2009 01:01PM
I haven't noticed that Color issue. All of my clips have the same timecode.

I have never had an issue sending an OMF from a 23.98 sequence to a ProTools mixer and it matching up later. Done this tons.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: From Color to FCP timecode slip issue.
June 26, 2009 10:20AM
Could it be a setting in Color that create a delay of 1 to 3 frames when you import back your timeline in FCP ?

The original footage was shot on HDCAM tapes 1080psf23.98, captured in ProRes (1080psf23.98), edited in FCP in 23.98 than imported in Color.

The problem is that we delivered an OMF to the sound mixer from the timeline before it was colored. What could be the best way to strip the mix and make sure that it will be sync.

The lenght of the show is 28min.45sec. with pauses. Its divided in 3 parts. Each parts are colored individualy in color ( from 5 to 7 mins by part ). Originaly before we found that weird bug, after each part were colored and imported back in FCP, we create a SCQTM of each part than put the SCQTM (only the video) over the original footage and make sure that on each cut we had the same first frame from the colored part. Since the OMF was make of the original timeline ( not the colored one ) it is a way to be sure that we will be sync ( audio and video ) when we will receive the mix and put it along with the colored parts.

Is this a good way to do it ?

Thx.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics