codec not found

Posted by miama99 
codec not found
June 30, 2009 06:03PM
i'm getting this error message: Codec not found. You maybe using a compression type without the corresponding hardware card" .... i know this has been covered several times on the forum, with mixed success for users . i've read through several threads. (i noticed one user simply gave up and bought all new software). in my case, it is coming up on a project i've been working on for a year. it's an hd project, and i'm working in ProRes 422 (hq). it came about after i did two recent installations: one for the latest quicktime, and the other, a reinstall of FCP Studio 2. on the latter, i did the reinstall because compressor was acting up, and i figured i'd do a simple reinstall of that software only. once i got started, i figured i'd do the entire installation.

as i said, i've read over many explanations for addressing this problem, but i've had no success trying to fix it. i have gone to disk utility and done directory verification and repair (and seen what i assume are the problem library files--and assumed wrongly that they were "repaired."winking smiley afterward, the hard drive got hung up and crashed. this happened twice... and when i brought it back up with disk warrior, the problem was the same. ... i've spent a lot of time on this (many many hours) and am afraid i'm going to ruin my hard drive (i've used disk warrior three times to get my system back)... i hate to spend money on this, but i hate even more to spend so much time on it. ... can someone suggest a person (preferable), or place, that can help?..

thanks,
Jim
Re: codec not found
June 30, 2009 06:46PM
Have stills in your timeline?

#14 Codec not Found

Shane's Stock Answer #14: Codec not Found

If you get a CODEC NOT FOUND missing hardware check ALL your images in Photoshop and make sure there are in a RGB color space NOT CYMK, LAB, OR GREYSCALE

And why are you using ProRes HQ? Dealing with 2K Red files? ProRes HQ is designed for 2K and larger....film and Red. Regular ProRes is what you should be using with 1080 and lower footage.

[forums.creativecow.net]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 30, 2009 08:02PM
most of this project was shot on film, and was converted to pro res (hq) over at plaster city. ... i have been working on this project for a year with no issues (other than artistic) until after the re-install of fcp. ... i've read your threads from last year and checked to see if we were using any still images. we're not. .... fyi, you've save my ass many times on fcp problems.... but this one is doing a real number on me....

jim
June 30, 2009 11:31PM
actually, let me correct that. our film was processed at fotokem, and we came out of there on HD-SR, which we had converted to ProRes at plaster city. i don't recall asking for (HQ), but it is.... when i did disk directory verification and repair, there were about 30 items that i recognized as being related to final cut. as the process indicated that these directories were all "repaired," i would assume that this problem was resolved.... but it wasn't. i got hung up on a restart, and then it crashed. this happened twice. right now, i'm up and running fine, and i appear to be able to work with older sd projects with no problem. ...
June 30, 2009 11:39PM
Well, not that I am ignoring you, I just don't know what to suggest.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 30, 2009 11:56PM
thanks anyhow.... though if there's someone you can recommend, that would be awesome.... i did just notice that i have some pro res mixed in with the hq... could that cause this?? (tho again, this footage was mostly cut a year ago, and this problem did not come up until after the fcp re-install--and everything seems to point to the library preferences.
July 01, 2009 12:49AM
I don't think so. Occasionally my assistants capture some HDV as ProRes HQ by accident, and they mix OK. I do have to render the HQ, but that is no big thing.

I'll give this link to anyone I think can assist.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
July 01, 2009 08:54PM
Ah...must be nice to have assistants...

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 01, 2009 09:26PM
> must be nice to have assistants...

Who know what they're doing. Weak assistants can increase your workload rather than alleviating it.

www.derekmok.com
July 01, 2009 09:34PM
...goes without saying, D.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 23, 2009 10:23PM
Jim,

I'm not sure if you ever discovered the solution but I think I just did... I was having the same issue with a ProRes HQ file giving me the same error. This was a quick tail edit only so I didn't take the time to set up the project as I normally would... I wasn't really paying attention to settings (shame on me). I looked at the Sequence Settings and noticed under the Video Processing tab, Render 10 bit-material in high-precision YUV was the setting marked. I changed it to Render in 8-bit YUV... it did the trick.

I honestly have not worked in ProRes much up till now... not sure what the setting is really supposed to be.

Steve

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

MBP Retina 2.6i7 16GB / iMac 27" 3.4i7 16GB
July 24, 2009 11:21AM
Wow.... That did it for me too..... I have been unable to work on this
> project for three months.... After working on it every day for a year. I still
> don't have a clue what changed--in every version of the project too, which
> is about 10. Now they all work!!! Awesome... Thank you so much.
>
> Jim Hollander
>
August 15, 2009 12:57AM
Just fixed the same problem for me.

Thanks!
September 29, 2009 06:05AM
Steve,

I registered so I could thank you. I've had this problem for months, and your switch to 8-bit solution solved it instantly. It's kind of embarrassing now to realise how easily fixed it was.

smiling smiley
Mike
November 20, 2009 06:33PM
Thank you all for your time and effort in resolving this issue. Very helpful. Gracias.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics