getting black image, can hear sound

Posted by Garret 
getting black image, can hear sound
July 01, 2009 03:36PM
Short description of my problem:

I'm getting a black image for picture. I can hear the sound. I can see one frame at a time on my external monitor. My guess is a QT/FCP/OS conflict. But I'm hoping you guys might have some ideas about how I can fix it. Hopefully something other than an archive and install?

Here's how I got here:

I stared today working on a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, OS 10.4.11, FCP 6.0.4, 5.5 GB RAM, and I'm not sure what version of QT (lower than 7.6.2).

Last week I was editing my project with the same drives in a different town, on a different system. Not sure of all of the specs, but FCP was 6.0.5.

Today I moved back into my regular office, plugged in my drives, opened the project, copied a section of my sequence to a new sequence and saw that none of the unrendered video effects were working. A week ago I worked on this computer with no problem.

I was baffled. Thought it might be because I went down from 6.0.5 (last weel) to 6.0.4 (today). Figured it was a long shot, but decided to upgrade. I wish I didn't.

I installed some updates (but not everything that was offered) including Security, Java, Final Cut Pro, Quicktime (7.6.2), ProApps, etc.

So now I'm cutting on a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, OS 10.4.11, FCP 6.0.5, QT 7.6.2, 5.5 GB RAM, and getting black picture, hearing sound.

No, I didn't backup before the update. I know, shame, shame.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Re: getting black image, can hear sound
July 01, 2009 03:38PM

I'm getting a black image for picture. ? I can see one frame at a time on my external monitor.

No offense, but which is it? I ask because if your broadcast monitor freezes on a still during playback, that's a symptom of one problem ? your timeline format doesn't match your AV output settings ? but if you're getting no picture at all, that might well be something else.

July 01, 2009 03:44PM
Clarification:

Black image in the Viewer and the Canvass in my computer monitor, but one frame at a time (wherever the playhead is parked before I push play) on the broadcast monitor.
July 01, 2009 03:55PM
Yup, seen that before. Sounds like a mismatch between your timeline format and your AV output settings. What's your timeline set to, and what are your AV output settings? Are you on a Kona system or a Blackmagic system? I'm personally only familiar with Kona systems, and only know about Blackmagic systems through hearsay and rumor.

July 01, 2009 04:06PM
Jeff,

I appreciate the idea, but even if I turn "External Frames" off, my Viewer and Timeline are black.

As far as my system, I'm going Firewire 400 out to a DSR-25 deck and component to a monitor.

My project is SD DV NTSC.
July 01, 2009 04:45PM
Do the clips referenced by your project open up in Quicktime? Have you tried trashing your preferences?

Andy
July 01, 2009 04:47PM
You in Wireframe Mode?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
July 01, 2009 04:52PM
Kevin
You in Wireframe Mode?

You know, I actually wondered about that myself. I guess it would be appropriate to apply Occam's razor to this problem.

Andy
July 01, 2009 06:12PM
Andy: yes the clips open up and playback fine in Quicktime. I have trashed my preferences.

Kevin: I wish that wireframe mode was the problem, but alas, it's not on.
July 01, 2009 08:00PM
Have you tried another FireWire cable?

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle Image to Image & Wireframe to Wireframe with W !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 01, 2009 08:10PM
What codec are we talking about here? That hasn't been mentioned.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 01, 2009 08:14PM
> What codec are we talking about here? That hasn't been mentioned.

Yeah, it has:
> My project is SD DV NTSC.

Now, you've actually looked at the Wireframe setting, right? You're not assuming? That is the most common cause. And you've tried pressing SHIFT-Z (Fit to Window)? And looking at the clips to make sure they are V1 + A2, etc.?

www.derekmok.com
July 02, 2009 11:09AM
Loren: Now I have all firewire devices unmounted and am using a clip from an internal drive. I get the same issue.

Derek: I did verify that I'm on "Image" and not "Wireframe." Interestingly enough, when I switch it to "Image+Wireframe," I'm able to see a still frame of the clip in the viewer (previously, on "Image," it was just black). I play it and the frame stays frozen but sound plays back.

My assistant was able to successfully downgrade us to Quicktime 7.5.5 last night. So now we're:

OS 11.4.11, FCP 6.0.5, QT 7.5.5

Trashed prefs again.

Still getting the same issues.

Thanks for all of your brainstorming. Please let me know if you have more ideas. We're really at a standstill here. Hoping to avoid archive/install, of course.

Thanks.
July 02, 2009 11:50AM
Make sure your Canvas is set to show you RGB, and not Alpha. There's a hotkey for this, if I remember correctly, but I'm drawing a blank on what it is. I've heard tales of people hitting that hotkey by mistake and having their image disappear on them.

July 02, 2009 11:58AM
Jeff: Thanks for the suggestion. Checked the setting and it's on RGB.
July 02, 2009 12:29PM
Is it possible your footage was shot with the lens cap on and nobody told you?

(This is me trying to apologize for not being able to solve the problem.)

July 02, 2009 12:34PM
Jeff: wait a minute... wait. a. MINUTE! The dang lens cap!

But we used a nice mic, so at least it sounds awesome.
July 03, 2009 06:15PM
How neat is your window arrangement? You can get anomalies in playback when you have the Canvas overlapping another image window like the Viewer by even 1 pixel. This is common in Avidland too.

Then there's the computer power test. Shrink the Canvas as small as you can and see if you get smooth motion.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Cycle Image to Image & Wireframe to Wireframe with W !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 06, 2009 08:58AM
Thanks, Loren, but no overlaps here.
July 08, 2009 03:02PM
Thanks all, for your thoughtful troubleshooting.

This morning we uninstalled with FCS Remover, then reinstalled FCP Studio 2, then upgraded to FCP 6.0.5 and 7.6.2 (running OS 11.4.11). Seems to be working fine now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics