FCP footage turns into green stripes with pink

Posted by Alex Hanawalt 
FCP footage turns into green stripes with pink
July 03, 2009 12:06AM
The attached image here says it best - basically everything in my bins and sequences will show up like this all of a sudden. I have to quit and reopen FCP to resume seeing my footage as it should normally appear. I've trashed prefs, run diskwarrior and repaired permissions, reinstalled Quicktime, etc., etc., but this keeps coming up.

I'm on an 8 core Mac Pro with a brand new install of all system and Final Cut Studio programs, newest software update versions of everything, Nvidea graphics card. The footage is ProRes422 HQ at 2048 x 1152 resolution.

Anybody have information about what might clear this up?

Re: FCP footage turns into green stripes with pink
July 03, 2009 11:25AM
Sad to say I had those symptoms on a rental system once that had a failing video card.

You could try making sure your card is fully seated in the slot, and that the cooling fins are clean. Dirt can lead to higher temps leading to unhappy electronics.
July 03, 2009 11:55AM
So you quit and reopen FCP to make it go back to normal. I assume it comes back after a while - is there any pattern to what you are doing in FCP that corresponds with this happening? Is there any pattern to how long your computer has been on (heat-related)? Does it do this all at once, or do the images just start to deteriorate and finally wind up looking like this?

I suspect Vance is right about a video card problem. Any chance you're still in warranty or AppleCare?

Scott
July 03, 2009 12:46PM
There doesn't seem to be a pattern, though there are a few things that seem to *usually* trigger this. Well... sometimes FCP will show the videos like this the second they first appear on screen after launch. Often, the image in the Viewer will appear like this first, and stay like that for as long as 30 minutes while I'm having no problems with the video in the sequence/canvas window. The one thing that very often seems to trigger this is doing any time-remapping operation on a sequence clip in the motion tab - either at the point that I enter in the change, or at the point that I render the clip after making the change. I've edited for as long as an hour without this problem coming up. There's never a process of deterioration - the clips just suddenly show up like this and then it "sticks" until a relaunch or reboot.

The computer was just purchased on eBay and is one month outside of warranty. eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics