Canon EOS Rebel T1i EF-S and FCP

Posted by Alexander 
Canon EOS Rebel T1i EF-S and FCP
July 11, 2009 06:53PM
Hello dear Colleagues.
I have not been here in a while and tried to read as many threads as I could looking to see if anyone has posted the same question.
I am wondering how does the Rebel work with FCP.
Is anyone using that combination?
Is there any information from anyone here?
I would like to hear their opinion, since I have been presented with the choice of buying one as a money saving option to a later investment to get the JVC.
Any points would be appreciated, such as compatibility, quality, ease of working conditions between the two environments (Apple-Canon).
Cards usage and so on.
Thank you in advance!!!
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T1i EF-S and FCP
July 11, 2009 08:41PM
I haven't...just started using AVCHD with FCP via Log & Transfer & the USB cable...have you tried that yet?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 12, 2009 12:22PM
Hi Joe,
well, not quite yet.
I am tentatively exploring the possibility of entering the HD world and a photographer friend mentioned the Rebel.
I heard that the quality is comparable with hi-end cameras, but with the price cut in half, sort of tempting to me, as I would eventually enter HD in full.
Please, let me know your feelings about the log & transfer vis USB.
Is it user friendly?
Thanks!!!
July 12, 2009 07:50PM
It is very user friendly for my camera - the Canon HF S10. Sees files & converts them to FCP-friendly ProRes format. There's some really nice toys developed for that Rebel:

[shopping.netsuite.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 12, 2009 08:11PM
Oh wow a shotgun mic afro helmet cool ;-)

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
July 13, 2009 10:50AM
Hi Alexander,

I have the T1i. Here are a couple of notes:
- There is no Time Code
- 720p is at 30fps, and 1080 is at 20 fps (yes, that isn't a typo)
- The movie is compressed as h264. So it is recommended that you convert to ProRes. (There are a number of really good reasons to do this. - battery life on some laptops drops with h264, and the FCS apps don't really work well with h264.)

Otherwise, that camera works as well as you might expect any other camcorder that supports digital media cards. I personally find that the color and image quality is better than most other 422 based cameras. When I did a seriously un-scientific comparison of my 720p T1i shot with a Canon HF11 shot, the T1i looked a lot more crisp. (the T1i is using a DSLR sensor rather than a sensor designed for 422 video.) I am also guessing that because the DSLR Sensor isn't limited to a Rec709 video colour space, that "trickery" can be done to the H264 to give it a better looking image. (Camcorders on the other hand are limited to rec709, and are constrained by the video colorspace.)

Food for thought.

bob..
www.gluetools.com
July 13, 2009 04:55PM
Joe, thank you for the eye candy!
Bob, thank you for your input.
Considering that the camera will mean for me the entrance to the HD world in FCP, I can overview the limitations, the exploration I am doing has mostly a financial reason, the price against the camera I want to but (JVC HD).
Can you elaborate a little in the minute-of-recording-per-card on this camera?
Other than that, I will be focusing on getting the model and fill the need for HD, for now...

Thank you all!

Truly.

Alexander
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics