Audio 90 degrees out of phase

Posted by jdburris 
Audio 90 degrees out of phase
July 20, 2009 04:34PM
I recently had a post house master a tape for me, it was edited in 2 channel stereo. I sent off to the station to show, and they rejected the tape. They said the audio was 90 degrees out of phase. What the heck does that mean? Why would a post house get this wrong?
Re: Audio 90 degrees out of phase
July 20, 2009 04:36PM
Analog out, mis-wired, better to lay off SDI

With the audio out of phase 1 track will cancel another, hence muted sound.
July 20, 2009 04:50PM
Can you explain what 'better to lay off SD' means?
July 20, 2009 04:54PM
It means output using serial digital with embedded audio.
July 21, 2009 11:38AM
SDI- serial digital interface. SDI is a professional tape signal that carries an uncompressed SD video signal and up to 8 tracks of embedded audio signal.

>They said the audio was 90 degrees out of phase

This means that there is a delay in the signal on one track, and you a phase cancellation issue. Basically when 2 identical waveforms are played out in phase, you'll have a +3.02 dB increment in your signal. When one one track is out of phase, one signal will cancel out the other, resulting in silence.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 21, 2009 01:25PM
Did they say 90 degrees? Normally audio that has one channel out of phase will have that channel ~180 degrees out. That is a more or less common problem in analog audio. Most the the time is is caused by reversing the hot an common lead in a cable, or hitting the phase reverse switch on a console.

90 degrees is far less common. It is possible, but it implies a time delay. Maybe having two mics on set that both here a single talent from different distances, and are then mixed together. Or adding a delay to only one channel of the audio.

I suspect that the technician that told you that may have inserted the "90 degree" bit just to pad his part. If not ask how they measured the delay. I would be very interested to know how that is done. The only way I know involves an oscilloscope and some math. Not a normal TV station test.
July 22, 2009 09:13AM
That is what they said: 90 degrees. The post house confirmed that the problem was due to a cable from the Digibeta deck to the Beta SP deck. What exactly happened, I don't know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics