1.5TB seagate barracuda SATAII's

Posted by Joe Brown 
1.5TB seagate barracuda SATAII's
July 20, 2009 04:52PM
Does anyone any experience using the seagate 7200.11 1.5TV SATA II's in a MacPro? I'm considering putting 4 in my system, using one as a boot drive and striping the other 3.

Thanks,
Joe Brown
Re: 1.5TB seagate barracuda SATAII's
July 20, 2009 05:46PM
As long as you make sure you have the recent firmware then all good. Otherwise you could run into problems.

Check the seagate website for details.

I have 4 in a DroboPro.

Bare in mind that Seagate don't guarantee the standard Desktop ones in a RAID and recommend you use the ES (enterprise versions).

Hitachi Deskstar 1TB and Samsung EcoGreen F2EG 1.5TB are more reliable in RAID than the Seagate Desktop HDDs even though they are also designed primarily for the Desktop HDD.

Having said that there are loads of people using 1.5TB Seagates successfully in a RAID array of 3 or more disks so its really down to you whether you run the risk.

Either way I would budget for some extra TBs of external backup alongside the 3 internal incase of loss of data.

For instance I just bought a DroboPro and filled it with 14TB to act as an online backup for recent projects or commonly used files (older projects get archived to HDD then shelved).

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 20, 2009 06:09PM
I am still not convinced about the Seagates being safe after the massive meltdown at my Studio (lost almost a dozen Seagate 1.5 TBs - switched to all Hitachis - 16 of them).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 20, 2009 06:37PM
Yeah all that needs is the firmware updating Joey.

Otherwise they are a pretty good drive but I still would be careful putting them in a really serious RAID. So the choice to go back to the Hitachi is a sound one - I have a Striped 4TB RAID of Hitachis thats still going strong after 3 years.

Not just that but at present I think the Enterprise Seagates only go up to 1TB capacity.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 20, 2009 07:49PM
What exactly makes an "enterprise level" HD an enterprise level HD?

FCP 7.0.3, PPro CS5.5, MPro Octo 2.8, 16 gigs RAM, Matrox MXO2, Sony EX1
July 20, 2009 08:02PM
Enterprise is a fancy term for a commercial company or really big company Enterprise software must be scalable, reliable and able to grow as the company grows

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 20, 2009 08:05PM
Maybe those hard drives are used on a Starship (you would know about that, wouldn't you Mike??)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 20, 2009 10:11PM

What exactly makes an "enterprise level" HD an enterprise level HD?

Faster, more reliable, more cache memory, designed to work well in large RAID arrays, etc.

But essentially for us... more expensive!

...and not necessarily worth the extra cost.

A nice article on Tom's Hardware

[www.tomshardware.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics