FCP 7: Motion 4 : Color 1.5 ect :-)))

Posted by paurray 
Re: FCP 7: Motion 4 : Color 1.5 ect :-)))
July 23, 2009 06:24PM
The Apple store here in Tucson does not have the new FCS. They said maybe in a week or two. But they been none to be wrong sometimes.
July 23, 2009 06:51PM
I'd say that it doesn't work on PowerPC (or 68020 tongue sticking out smiley) Macs because it has been re-written, so compiling it for older chips is no longer possible.

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
July 23, 2009 06:57PM
That's almost certainly untrue, for several reasons.

For starters, non-trivial applications are almost never rewritten. There's just no need. Refactored, sure, but rewritten? That's a ton of effort for precious little gain.

Second, Final Cut works. The only motivation to rewrite something entirely is when you're moving to a new architecture and you have to (Mac OS X doesn't have that problem; it's architecture-agnostic in most respects) or when there are problems with the original application that can't be fixed otherwise.

Finally, and most significantly, you'd really have to go out of your way to write a Mac OS X application that can't be compiled for PowerPC. The current version of the operating system is entirely universal; every API and framework is available in both PowerPC and Intel versions, on every system in the world. There's just not much you can do on a Mac that isn't fully cross-architecture. Sure, you can go in and do low-level architecture-specific programming, but there's precious little need to.

On the other hand, if you ship both PowerPC and Intel versions of an application, you have to QA both the PowerPC and Intel versions. PowerPC, as an architecture, is effectively dead; Apple will not make or ship any more PowerPC systems, and I forget the numbers but some vast majority of Mac users are on Intel systems now. So while the application could be compiled and run on PowerPC just fine, it makes perfect sense for Apple to save time and effort by dropping the QA for PowerPC.

July 23, 2009 06:59PM
Russ Blaise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Apple store here in Tucson does not have the
> new FCS. They said maybe in a week or two. But
> they been none to be wrong sometimes.

I just got my 'Your order has shipped' notification from the UK Apple Store:

Your order was shipped on 23.07.2009. Your Delivery Reference Number is 8xxxxxxxxxxx.
We expect your order to be delivered to your shipping address on or before 24.07.2009

According to that email, it should arrive in the next 14 hours. I expect it on Tuesday...

July 23, 2009 07:13PM
What's upgrade price in Sterling Alex?

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 23, 2009 07:22PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lets try and keep this thread a bit on topic as
> much as we can. Its a good one and I don't want to
> see it go off the map into another country.

Sorry if I mapped it out of the country.

But here even if out of topic the link back to the country for render notification:
[www.lafcpug.org]

Andreas winking smiley
July 23, 2009 07:25PM
£216.52 ($356.93 at today's exchange rate)

+Sales tax at 15% = £249.00 ($410.48)

At least I got free delivery...

alex4d

July 23, 2009 07:31PM
One small step for the American Dollar.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 23, 2009 07:45PM
I like the new subclip match frame option

- View > Match Frame > Subclip Parent Clip

And timeline shortcut:
- You can now use audio gain keyboard shortcuts to change the value of the current keyframe or the two keyframes around the current frame

Coloured markers

As well as using Shift-Option-1 through 8 to set markers,
- you can choose which colour markers display on the timeline
- you can have more than one marker on a frame (a pop-up menu appears on the 'Name' field)
- you can start and stop playback while the Edit Marker dialog is open: Control-Space bar to play or stop playback, Command-control-Space bar to play around the marker

July 23, 2009 07:47PM
Mr Horton-

Will the upgrade be appearing in the store here soon? Love to buy here.

-Vance
July 23, 2009 07:51PM
Yeah, thanks for reminding me. I will do that tonight.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 23, 2009 07:52PM
Actually its not on amazon yet. Hopefully soon. Thats place to buy it though as it will be cheaper and free shipping.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 23, 2009 08:13PM
Cheaper on Amazon than here? Thought it was the same price with a little kiss to LAFCPUG beer fund.
Re: New Final Cut Studio released
July 23, 2009 08:40PM
Hi, all --

Well, this one was an unexpected surprise. Our friends Steve Martin & Kevin Monahan sure can keep a secret! smiling smiley

And while there are some nice features being added (and a very reasonable upgrade price, to boot) ... after 2+ YEARS, I really thought they could hit this one out of the park.

Though compared to what arguably needed to be done with the app, it feels more like just a base hit.

In fact, my original Amazon review of FCS2 may still be eerily apropos. [Though I hope this excerpt is taken as intended, and with the implicit understanding that every piece of software carries its own distinct list of advantages & disadvantages]:

Entitled ?Studio apps rock; FCP still could use a bit of work? -- from May 20, 2007 -- it read in part:

?... Given the suite's fantastic breadth and depth of functionality, however, the newest iteration of the core application of the bunch, FCP6, does come off as a bit disappointing by comparison.

While the Open Timeline and ProRes 422 are notable and worthy enhancements to the FCP canon, the app nevertheless continues to be hampered by some long-standing Achilles' heels, including various media management and UI issues. While everyone has their individual list of pet concerns, few knowledgeable users would argue that notable limitations don't exist.

Especially considering the two-year "hiatus" from FCP's last major release, this is an unexpected bit of a letdown ...?

Overall, it's more deja vu than I?d have expected. I don?t mean to sound too dissatisfied, but they?ve really had 4+ YEARS now to do a decent overhaul on the thing.

(Of course, in the review, I then went on to commend Apple for the great synergy & price point of the whole package.)

~~~

That said, what does everyone make of the Timing of this announcement? No press event, no tie-in with any kind of industry event that I?m aware of. The announcement almost seems like a throwaway of some kind ...

Best wishes, and happy Summer to all!
Ron Diamond

--
At last, versatile, extensible & robust User Preferences for FCP!
[www.EditGroove.com]
July 23, 2009 11:54PM
Can I just say.....oooooh!

Everywhere I looked there was another feature that I was looking for.

For those of us who work with both FCP and Avid, I was especially pleased with the TC window, global transitions (only been asking for that since v3), and colored, rebuilt markers. Even the color-coded tabs will be a welcome addition to my tired eyes and give my FCP a little more Avid feel (for those things that I appreciate about Avid).

Then there's the alpha support in ProRes 4444. I was just hoping the other day for an alpha alternative to the Animation codec. This is gonna be VERY useful in my day to day work.

I could just go on and on about just about every new feature. The only ones that I'm ambivalent about is the Alpha transitions since it's really just streamlining an effect that's been possible for years, and multi-touch gestures because I don't edit on a laptop.

I'm also reserving judgement on the so-called "improved media management". I hope it's better, but that part of the program needs to go a mile and it feels like they've only taken a few steps forward. There's also the chance that "fixing" media manager will break something else. "All this has happened before, and it will happen again."

But all in all, I felt like a kid on Christmas morning. Don't even get me started on the Motion improvements (I'm still giggling about that).

Andy
July 24, 2009 12:42AM
What about iPhone integration?

I'm always on the go, gotta work, gotta produce, on the train, in the plane...so when will FCP-Mobile with bundled eSata-iPhone cable be released?

OK, preposterous.

but what about the iPhone as a user interface/control device? With the compass and accelerometer, we have access to the Z-axis. So, next up, a 3-D FCS workspace controlled via BlueTooth from the iPhone. Then, we'll get 4 video cards supporting two monitors each, sit 20 feet away from the wall of monitors, and be able to see the entire timeline at one glance, no scrolling or scrubbing required.

OK, it's a bit late. I probably oughta go get some shuteye.

Mods, feel free to toss this where it belongs.

Happy Summer,
Scott

PS, actually, if FCS'09 really does provide background rendering/export, that may be worth it in and of itself. Now, for those of us still using tape, if only there were a standalone capture app...

July 24, 2009 01:18AM
Just read the full list of changes, actually pretty impressed.

A mix of much-needed workflow tweaks (markers that SHIFT!) and the usual razzle-dazzle effects and plug-ins. Not the biggest overhaul ever but hopefully a step in that direction.

Interesting that they offer a tepid Blu-ray solution, especially outside of DVDSP.

July 24, 2009 01:45AM
Been a fun day and fun reads as I try to digest all this. The one thing that keeps popping up on threads around the internet are "Bu-Ray" and "can't believe this is all we get after 2 years."

Remember folks this is the new Final Cut Studio, not just Final Cut Pro. Lisa Brenneis reminded me of that. We are talking about a SUITE of apps not just Final Cut Pro, That's SIX apps.

Now think about that for a moment. Think how tough it probably was over this 2 year period as one team worked on one app and another worked on another app and one team had to maybe wait until the other team finished whatever they had to finish before the other team was able to move on? Managing this project must of been nuts.

Is 2 years unreasonable when you factor in SIX apps? I don?t think so.

FWIW this is an upgrade that chose to give the users who yelled the loudest what they wanted. This is a feature request upgrade. Sure, not all requests were granted, but that is to be expected. You all know that. You pick the 100 you feel you can manage and go for it.

Upgrading for $299 is insanely cheap and it makes me choke when I read posts with the subject line, "Is the new FCS really worth upgrading too?" $300.00? You kidding me? Heck, $999.00 is insane.

Like the ol' joke goes; Want to hear an editor complain? Give him an upgrade.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 24, 2009 02:58AM
According to UPS, the Final Cut Studio upgrade weighs 0.6 kilos.

Looks my $400+ UK upgrade cost doesn't get me a full printed manual.

July 24, 2009 03:11AM
Save the trees!

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 24, 2009 03:34AM
All Apple manuals are printed on paper from guilty trees who deserved to die! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

July 24, 2009 04:35AM
I'm sure plugin makers are happy with this update. We don't have to worry about our stuff being superseded by Apple.

Except Martin Baker's 'BigTime' window. His consolation was that he thought Apple might break FxScript plugins in this version. No sign of that yet...

July 24, 2009 07:56AM
The Ripple Training FREE tutorials are an amazing freebie -- they put a tremendous amount of work into them - and lots of great valuable information you don't get on the apple tutorials Great work Steve!
New Final Cut Studio upgrade delivered in London (almost)
July 24, 2009 09:14AM
Oh dear, the UPS person didn't try very hard. The quickest ring on the doorbell, a note to say they were here, and off!

Looks like my Final Cut upgrade will have to be delivered some other day.

July 24, 2009 09:29AM
...you gonna do that every day until it arrives Alex?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

JAS
July 24, 2009 09:55AM
Some of FCS 7's new features such as iChat Theater are compelling enough to spend the modest $299 upgrade price -- but I am disappointed that Apple has not yet redesigned the Title Tool. The process for adding titles within Final Cut Pro is so un-Macintosh-like. This is one area in which Avid's interface is better.

Creation of a title ought to occur in a window that is superimposed over the Timeline video so that it is simple to position text. The interface ought to be entirely WYSIWYG. Different typefaces, point sizes and colors should be possible on the same layer.

Essentially, what I'd like to see is a tool within Final Cut that behaves much like a word processor.
July 24, 2009 10:25AM
I don't think anybody uses the built-in text generator in Final Cut for anything other than placeholders.

July 24, 2009 10:42AM

I don't think anybody uses the built-in text generator in Final Cut for anything other than placeholders.

...which is WRONG and has always been WRONG. The Title Tool should be robust. Even Premiere's Title Tool has always been better than FCP's. It's a huge hole in the app that has always been high on the Feature Request List...wonder why they chose to skip it?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 24, 2009 10:51AM
Guys, what about this app within Studio called Motion. Editors may never use it for anything else, but as a title tool, it's excellent. Select a clip, send to Motion, and animate away. Even in 3D and now with shadows and reflections.

>>Creation of a title ought to occur in a window that is superimposed over the Timeline video so that it is simple to position text. The interface ought to be entirely WYSIWYG. Different typefaces, point sizes and colors should be possible on the same layer.

Essentially, what I'd like to see is a tool within Final Cut that behaves much like a word processor.<<

That's exactly what Motion does at the most basic level. Go for it.

Clay
July 24, 2009 10:54AM
Has anyone actually seen the Text tool in action in v7? Can we confirm that it hasn't changed?

I agree that this has been a frustrating omission for years. Not everyone is comfortable enough with Motion or LT, and sometimes you just need to type something on screen quickly without round-tripping...

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics