New Academic Price for FCS Kills it For This Teacher

Posted by MitchellRose 
Re: New Academic Price for FCS Kills it For This Teacher
July 25, 2009 01:21AM
So, have them buy Final Cut Express $199.
July 25, 2009 12:52PM
yeah but ultimately you still need FCP if you want to work professionally. So that's 299 + 899 in the end. Not worth it...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
July 25, 2009 02:29PM
But as least the students will be in the ball park as for learning FCP. Going from FCE to FCP is easier than going from iMove to FCP.
July 26, 2009 03:23AM
Remember they're learning concepts. I remember learning to mix audio on a Western Electric board that was built in the 30's. It was replaced by a Sparta board which seemed modern at the time. Surprisingly, I can still walk into any radio studio and have my bearings in short order. Editing tools change, but concepts of the art endure.
July 26, 2009 03:04PM
Here's a lesson --

my daughter (senior film student now at prestigious film school, the tuition bill of which requires me to edit/produce/direct 24/7 till she's finished)..... was my assistant editor through high school. Learned on Adobe Premier (the really really old version before FCP was born) then graduated to Final Cut -- the full version. She's now 21 and able to edit with the best editors in the business - and she's not out of school yet - some of her peers - they were doing IMOIVE in high school - she was light years ahead of them in knowing the skills and visual grammar necessary to work professionally - while still in school.

Teach your children well -- give them the best tools - and watch them create.
July 26, 2009 03:29PM
I completely agree with this general line of thinking expressed here, and am glad that the discussion happened. For my own specific case, as I originally stated it, I'm not talking about film students--my students are choreographers who don't want editing jobs. I would also proffer this notion: not all users of FCP are editors, nor do they want to be one. In fact, I'll bet those are a minority. My guess is that most people have their own video footage and just need to cut/manage it.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Mitchell Rose
[www.mitchellrose.com]
July 27, 2009 11:03AM
I have been told, though have not confirmed it, that the new academic license is upgradeable, which makes it a better deal, in some ways, than previous versions, even though the price is higher.

All the best,

Tom
July 27, 2009 11:13AM
When you get a confirmation please tell us as that would be very big news to students and teachers.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 27, 2009 02:10PM
Well then...that makes it all worth the price increase rather than having to pay for a full seat!! a confirmation of this information would make a lot of folks happy to have the Academic version I would think!!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 27, 2009 03:30PM
The only way to confirm it is to look at the license. Unfortunately some people have heard from "reliable sources" that the policy has changed, but the Apple education web page still says the product is not upgradeable. I suspect the policy has changed, but until the web site changes, or someone from the pro apps team says differently, or someone gets an academic version and actually reads the license, there's no way to know for sure.
July 27, 2009 03:37PM
I'm trying to get a hold of someone on the EDU team but so far no reply

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 28, 2009 11:12AM
Any news Michael?
July 28, 2009 11:31AM
Nope, still trying.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 07, 2009 11:39AM
OK, Official word from Apple came in

No Virginia, the EDU version is NOT upgradeable to the Retail version. So the math suggests you do NOT buy the EDU version if you plan to one day continue with Final Cut Studio.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 07, 2009 11:41AM
Wow. A hundred dollar savings for the edu version. Forward thinking.

Mitchell Rose
[www.mitchellrose.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics