Matching audio taped on a speaker phone (UGH) and live

Posted by PatGSnyder 
Matching audio taped on a speaker phone (UGH) and live
July 28, 2009 10:41AM
I unfortunately had to tape a person over the phone using a speaker phone. How do I get close to the audio I taped in a live interview using FCP (5.14) or DVD Studio Pro (1.1)? Thanks
Re: Matching audio taped on a speaker phone (UGH) and live
July 28, 2009 10:52AM
I don't understand the question. What do you mean by "how do I get close?" Are you talking about filtering the telephone audio so it sounds live? 'Cause the answer to that question is "you don't."

July 28, 2009 10:58AM
Jeff, is there any way to filter it at all so that it sounds better than being in a tin or inside the telephone wire?!?
July 28, 2009 11:17AM
You can add back some bass, but presence is very hard to get. In my experience, most of the time when you add bass and lower mids onto a recording like that, you'd just get more mush and less distinct vowels. I'd tame the higher frequencies so they don't grate as much when you turn the volume up, but there isn't that much you can do. Before you did the actual recording, did you explore your options for recording the phone conversation better?

www.derekmok.com
July 28, 2009 11:17AM
aaaahhhh... Audio.... the great equalizer :-)

Pat, unfortunately without hearing a sample it's difficult to give some direction on your question, but to be blunt... it is what it is and you need to figure out how to best incorporate what you have unless you can re-record the interview.

I do this all the time with live vs. telephone interviews, although NOT with a speaker phone. Are they large sections or are you using the questions from one source and the answers from another?

I have found that the EQ in Soundtrack can actually do a fairly decent job, but it will NEVER be as good as a proper recording. Import it into STP and play with the EQ there... not FCP.

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

MBP Retina 2.6i7 16GB / iMac 27" 3.4i7 16GB
July 28, 2009 11:28AM
A professional audio engineer could take your material, call on all the tools of his craft, and make it sound different. Whether he could make it sound better would be an entirely subjective thing.

There's a reason why location sound recordists are so highly paid. Sound is even less forgiving than picture is. An overexposed or underexposed piece of footage can be tweaked a bit to make it more acceptable, but if your sound recording has problems, they're there, and hardly ever can the problems be fixed in a way that doesn't leave you with a recording that sounds conspicuously affected.

July 28, 2009 11:30AM
That's just what I'll do, Steve. It's only :30, but it's an important half a minute (alas).

For the next time, what would be the best way to tape over the phone. Speaker phone was the only way I could think of.
July 28, 2009 11:31AM
Thanks so much this advice.
What do you suggest for the next time?
July 28, 2009 11:35AM
July 28, 2009 11:40AM
If your context will allow it, another approach would be to do the best you can with the speaker phone audio, then "degrade" the "good" audio to match by cutting off high and low frequencies. That is a much easier path than trying to make a silk purse out of that sow's ear you have, but only you know if that's an acceptable approach.

Scott
July 28, 2009 11:55AM
Funny way to put it, but I totally understand what you mean. Thanks!
July 28, 2009 12:09PM
Pat, I use a variety of "Digital Hybrids" (phone patch unit), I have an ancient Getner SPH3, a couple of Telos One units a couple of Comrex DH30... You can also get a Telephone Coupler, but I find the quality not as clean as a hybrid that will separate the outbound from the inbound allowing greater control of each source. Check out BSW or similar for the many options. This doesn't help your current situation but will help for the next one.

I remember doing a telephone session with Maynard Ferguson where the studio on the other end used alligator clips on the telephone receiver to the mixer.... It was horrible but the content was king for that session.

At this point it's what can you live with vs. making it sound similar.

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

July 28, 2009 12:13PM
Thanks!
July 28, 2009 01:27PM
When it comes to audio, Steve knows what he's talking about. He used to operate one of the best recording studios in Southern California.

One way to simplify this process is to place an audio recorder/microphone at the remote location. Relatively high quality digital recorders are really cheap now, and someone can email you the additional audio. After synchronizing the two tracks, you simpy bring down the location/speakerphone audio, and bring up the remote audio at the appropriate times. Of course, the remote location audio will now sound too good, so you'll need to filter it to sound like a telephone.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
July 29, 2009 11:50AM
T., Thanks for the kudos... I sometimes miss that life... now.... if I could just get this video stuff down..... :-)

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

July 29, 2009 11:54AM
And all of us are still trying to get this audio stuff down.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 19, 2010 01:39AM
AudioEase SpeakerPhone.

F_n' BRILLIANT!

Choose whatever speaker models you want, guaranteed you will find something similar if not identical to the original.

Treatment
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics