Is it possible to burn a blu-ray disc from FCS-3 (final cut 7, dvdsp5) ?

Posted by ronksmith 
Is it possible to burn a blu-ray disc from FCS-3 (final cut 7, dvdsp5) ?
July 28, 2009 03:31PM
Has apple taken the initiative to make this happen?
Re: Is it possible to burn a blu-ray disc from FCS-3 (final cut 7, dvdsp5) ?
July 28, 2009 03:34PM
You can burn a BR disc from Compressor not DVDSP

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 28, 2009 06:12PM
Course you need a burner but then, yes.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
July 28, 2009 06:48PM
FCP, Motion and Compressor. Not DVDSP.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
July 28, 2009 06:54PM
has anyone heard the reasoning for this? -- DVD SP is a DVD creation program - why would you cripple ability to design a blu ray disk in one program and instead let you do it in a primitive way in Compressor instead?
July 28, 2009 07:04PM
Because.

drinking smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 28, 2009 07:14PM
Because Steve said so.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 28, 2009 07:20PM
That's right: DVD Studio Pro is a DVD-creation program. Blu-ray discs are entirely different. Adding HDMV authoring to DVD Studio Pro would be a huge effort, and BD-J would be even more difficult, and all for probably for very little gain. As near as I've been able to tell, precious few folks are doing HDMV authoring right now, and the ones who are have shelled out the sixty-odd-thousand bucks for BluPrint.

The Final Cut solution lets editors do what most editors need to do: throw content onto a disc quickly and easily, without any real options for authoring, for the purpose of distributing screeners and such. The actual authoring of Blu-Ray discs, right now, remains so complicated as to be out of the hands of the target Final Cut Studio market.

July 28, 2009 07:21PM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because Steve said so.

So Say We All hot smiley
July 28, 2009 08:10PM
You can use Toast or Encore or this thingie once they add some stuff to it which they are doing. There are ways. no need for DVDSP

[blustreak.dvdafteredit.com]

This whole Blu-Ray thing is has many work arounds.

Michael Horton
-------------------
DM
July 28, 2009 08:16PM
Well,
I find it very disappointing that Apple has not updated DVDSP 4, in what now is the 2nd Suite upgrade. This is totally lopsided. 2 upgrades to FC, compressor, ST Pro and still the same tired old DVDSP? Look at the templates they've developed for iDVD. They put the ones in DVDSP to shame. They better have something fantastic in wait and it better be cheap after people pay for this package.
Very disappointed in Apple on this one. I'm not drinking the Koolaide.
July 28, 2009 08:31PM
Bruce Nazarian has a hack for writing BR content to standard DVD-R. It's unnatural but apparently works.

www.Recipe4DVD.com

Under the DOCS menu, far right. You have to register to download.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Nudge a Canvas layer by subpixel with Command-Option-Arrows !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 28, 2009 08:44PM
Well that's the thing, really. I don't believe anybody buys DVD Studio Pro. How long as it been since Apple sold it as a separate product? Three and a half years? Apple could have dropped DVD Studio Pro entirely from the suite, and I don't think it would significant affect sales. People buy Final Cut Pro, and the rest of the stuff that comes in the box is bonus.

Think for a minute about the business case for DVD Studio Pro. It's never going to break into the professional authoring market. For starters, Sonic Scenarist owns that market, and that's highly unlikely to change since DVD as a format is currently as widespread as it will ever be. And since DVD Studio Pro isn't available as a standalone product any more, it's not targeted at the guy who makes his own home movies. Why does it still exist? Purely as a utility for Final Cut users. Sure, it's technically possible to create complex motion menus and fully featured DVDs with DVD Studio Pro; there's not a lot that the DVD specification allows that DVD Studio Pro can't handle. But that's just the thing: DVD Studio Pro is done, from a capability standpoint. It's finished, complete. There are no major features to add. Any enhancements to it would be just that: enhancements, UI changes, stuff like that. And since literally no one buys DVD Studio Pro ? since it's not sold, as a product ? there's no business justification for adding them. Apple's not going to sell more copies of DVD Studio Pro by changing it. They're going to sell the same number of copies they've sold for the past three and a half years: zero.

It's not about Kool-aid. It's about business. DVD Studio Pro doesn't need to be any better than it is right now. In fact, it could be a lot worse, and sales of Final Cut Studio wouldn't dip one bit.

DM
July 28, 2009 09:16PM
Well yeah, I get what your saying but I have a dog in this race. I need to use DVDSP (instead of iDVD) for it's authoring flexibility. I use it for almost every project and I think Apple needs to upgrade the templates and could stand to polish up the preferences panel among other things. There are improvements to be made to this app. that could have been done since.....look at the effort they put into the rest of the programs.
God, if your going to update the rest of the suite and your going to update iDVD every year, then at least add some new templates!! Throw me a bone Apple.

What your saying about stand alone program sale could easily apply to the rest of the suite as well. How many people really need or use the capabilities of Motion unless your a graphics creator burned out on AfterEffects? Motion probably wouldn't sell too well as a stand alone app.
Live Type does a great job already with text objects, titleing and motion backgrounds for a lot of people. And then there's ST PRO. How's that for a non-standard audio editing program? But......they've updated it twice already. Certainly can't touch Pro Tools for professional usage saturation and probably never will. Probably would die quickly as a stand alone program.

I think if your going to call this batch of programs a Suite, then your obligated and need to make improvements to all of it. I would certainly be happy to buy Final Cut as a stand alone app. and certainly at less cost than the suite.
July 28, 2009 09:36PM

There are improvements to be made to this app.

There are improvements to be made to every app. Question is, how much would you, personally, be willing to pay for those improvements? And don't say you'd be willing to pay for the Final Cut Studio upgrade; that's not the same thing. Would you pay a thousand bucks for a new version of DVD Studio Pro? And if the answer's yes, how many of your friends could you round up to do the same?

I think if your going to call this batch of programs a Suite, then your obligated and need to make improvements to all of it.

Let's be a little circumspect here. Apple is obligated to do very little, and updating an application for which there's no sound business case is certainly something they're not obligated to do. In fact, in light of the fact that they're a publicly traded company, sinking a fortune into something with no reasonable expectation of return arguably falls into the category of things Apple is obligated not to do.

But on the other hand, just as Apple's not obligated to update a program that you happen to use, you're not obligated to continue using it. Which brings me to my final point:

I would certainly be happy to buy Final Cut as a stand alone app. and certainly at less cost than the suite.

Yeah, but did you choose not to buy the new Final Cut Studio? Are you going to refrain from purchasing it because Apple didn't do anything to DVD Studio Pro? Because if you already shelled out your money for the upgrade ? or if you're going to regardless ? then it really doesn't matter one bit what Apple does or doesn't do with DVD Studio Pro. Their choices with regard to DVD Studio Pro had no impact regarding your choice with regard to giving them your money.

Let's put it right out on the table: Adobe's CS4 production bundle costs more-or-less the same as Final Cut Studio ? a bit more, but I can't be assed to get the pricing right now because of Adobe's pain-in-the-neck Flash-based Web store thingy ? and includes software that does more-or-less the same stuff. It comes with Premiere, After Effects, Sound?something-whatever-it-is, and Encore. Final Cut Studio comes with Color and the Adobe bundle includes Photoshop, but they're basically equivalent products for basically equal prices. They're the prosumer-low-end-pro-post version of Coke and Pepsi. Very little is stopping you from dropping Final Cut Studio and going over to Adobe's products; the barrier to transition is very low. Did Apple's decision not to update DVD Studio Pro motivate you to make the change, and to stop sending Apple money every year or two for Final Cut Studio upgrades? Probably not. And that's the business situation in a nutshell. If failing to do something doesn't lose them customers, and choosing to do something doesn't bring them in a sufficient number of new customers, then they don't do it. It's simple economics.

I'd love it if DVD Studio Pro were updated too. Though to be honest, it'd be a purely platonic love, since I've never used the overwhelming majority of DVD Studio Pro's features.

DM
July 28, 2009 10:23PM
Well, to carry this on further, How much money do u think Apple spent upgrading the rest of the apps? I don't think anyone knows. Probably a boat-load though. How much money did they spend integrating Color into the suite? How many users need it or are willing to tackle that learning curve?
I'd venture to say they're all "loss leaders" except Final Cut. So my guess is, since they are still advertising this group of applications as a suite, the price would still be the same. After all, this is the 2nd time they've not touched DVDSP.
Apple, more than a lot of companies, believes in obligation. There loyal customer base is built on it. Apple and most other companies advertising arms are trying to appeal to you to buy the latest and greatest. You bet they give a damm about obligations to the customer.

I did not buy the last upgrade to FC 6 suite because the feature sets didn't warrant the cost- for me. I would upgrade to 7 if they did something about DVDSP. For now, once again, I'll keep what I have. I say DVDSP is the only no-fit with suite 7 and they should quit ignoring the elephant in the room.
July 29, 2009 01:37AM
Jeff Harrell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Blu-ray discs are entirely different.
> Adding HDMV authoring to DVD Studio Pro would be a
> huge effort, and BD-J would be even more
> difficult, and all for probably for very little
> gain. As near as I've been able to tell, precious
> few folks are doing HDMV authoring right now, and
> the ones who are have shelled out the
> sixty-odd-thousand bucks for BluPrint.

Thanks for making that point. It seems few of us seem to realize what a huge difference it is to properly author Blu-ray vs. DVD. The different optical media itself it pretty trivial. But the actual authoring of menus etc. is a huge jump to a far more extensive and capable programming environment, and can include internet! If we do eventually get something similar to DVDSP for Blu-ray, I have to imagine it will be paired way down. Even then lets not trivialize the undertaking. They can't just "add Blu-ray" to DVDSP -- they'd have to buy a whole new authoring application designed for Blu-ray, and then "Appleize it."

Personally I hope FCS does eventually include some Blu-ray authoring flexibility beyond what we have now, even if it's comparatively limited.

- Justin Barham -
August 13, 2009 12:56PM
You can also burn a blu-ray disk from within fcp7, using Share.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics