FCP7 Reports

Posted by alexedit 
FCP7 Reports
July 28, 2009 08:47PM
Hi All -
I want to get the new version, but first I want to get reports from those who have it.

Any bugs to report?
is it ready to go?
any issues that we should be aware of?

thanks
Re: FCP7 Reports
July 28, 2009 09:19PM
Have seen issues reported from folks opening older projects that contain variable speed changes in the new FCP7 ... apparently due to the completely rewritten speed handling code (and, one assumes, the new means of describing those speed settings in project files) the result is not entirely as should be expected. This could be a real issue for anyone who needs to revisit older projects somewhere down the line, and hopefully is something that'll be addressed in a point release.

If you're cutting new projects, as afar as I can tell, its very much good to go.
July 28, 2009 10:17PM
Andy, do you recall if the issues were with ALL speed changes,
of just Time Re-Maps?

thanks,
nick
July 28, 2009 11:00PM
sorry Nick, I don't ... I'm searching for where the heck it was that I read about this, will post a link if (and when, hopefully) I find the dared thing.
July 29, 2009 03:36AM
Maybe interesting for those who update (it's from another mailing list):

Q User: Can Final Cut Pro 6 and 7 be installed side by side on the same machine? They don't have to run at the same time, but it would be helpful to have both installed on the same machine in our QA lab for testing.

A Apple: We are moving in that direction. Starting with this release, it will probably work reasonably well, even though we aren't officially supporting it, yet. I think you'll need to do what Pete suggests and move the old one to a different name first, though. We're aware that users and developers want this functionality, but it wasn't a simple thing to do, which is why we aren't yet officially supporting it.

Andreas
July 29, 2009 10:50AM
Thats been the case in older versions of FCP where folks ran 2 versions of Final Cut. I've never done it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 29, 2009 11:03AM
Mike

That has been possible before, but you always might have had problems to kill your settings.
I made a 'launcher' hack for myself which always moved settings and prefs around to test different version behaviours, but yeah - it was a hack.
Now Apple is as said moving to that direction and that might help with updates as you can keep elder version of your project opening with the matching version of FCP.

Again this was just a note.

Andreas
July 29, 2009 11:15AM
Knowing you Andreas you will make it work.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 29, 2009 02:28PM
Well...this thread is kind of quiet which means....I'm jumping in
July 29, 2009 03:06PM
I have been running it since the day AFTER it came out. No issues to report. Nice to have speed changes work...decently...in Color. Time lapse sped up shots still present me with something, but that is because it is referencing 10 min of footage for a 3 second shot. But slow motion and minor changes, great.

P2 import options...great.

Markers....my GOD! Thank heavens for those markers. now a vital part of my workflow can be reinstituted. LOVE THEM!

But no bugs. No crashing...humming along. Just installed new Kona drivers yesterday too.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 03, 2009 11:25AM
I can verify that FCP and Motion are very stable.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 03, 2009 12:58PM
Well, one bug, mentioned on the Cow too.

When exporting an XML, v4, to be opened in FCP 6.0.5 (what the rest of my company is on), my computer freezes when I try to render, or just park the playhead over, a series of 20 Title 3D clips. I have many other scatter through the system, lower thirds of people. But the credits with 20 of them bumped up against each other...crash.

Other than that...nada. I didn't have speed changes like that to deal with...just normal CMD-J 200% and 50% stuff.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics