AVCHD files and FCP

Posted by Alexander 
AVCHD files and FCP
July 28, 2009 09:21PM
Hello comrades,
I have scrolled down a lot, but couldn't find any insights regarding AVCHD files from HD cameras and how to ingest them into FCP.
I am still on a G5, PowerPC and using FCP 6.1.
I have read somewhere else that the new version of Studio is intel-only.
Any recommendations?
I am in the hunt for an hybrid camera to shoot HD video and post-produce in FCP.

Thank you all!
Re: AVCHD files and FCP
July 28, 2009 09:39PM
Don't buy AVCHD.

(Yes, we all know Joey disagrees with me on this one, but he's free to come in here and say so himself.)

Final Cut Pro 7 is Intel-only, so it's not an option for you. But that's okay, because FCP 7 doesn't change anything with regard to how Final Cut deals with AVCHD material. It's the same as in FCP 6: You log-and-transfer the media, and Final Cut transcodes it to ProRes. This takes more time and requires more storage than it would if you were working in a format Final Cut can deal with natively.

My opinion ? and it's worth precisely what you're paying for it ? is that AVCHD is an incredibly poor choice for the indie filmmaker.

July 28, 2009 09:48PM
You need an Intel machine to ingest AVCHD into Final Cut regardless of whether it's v6 or v7.
July 28, 2009 10:45PM
If you are staying on a PPC, don't buy AVCHD. When you get an Intel machine, come back with your AVCHD camera and I will gladly disagree with Jeff all day long because AVCHD will be probably be supported soon IMHO grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 28, 2009 11:26PM
I'll join Joey. AVCHD is an incredible format and it all depends on how far the camera manufacturers want to take advantage of it. I remember how many pros looked down on DV a few years ago. Just wait and see.
July 28, 2009 11:39PM
Thank you all for your inputs.
I was projecting myself to the unavoidable cross roads of the ever changing HD subject.
In my hunt, I was looking for the affordable option of getting a camera, a hybrid to be precise, with the ability to shoot HD.
At this point I can't afford to get the camera I really want (JVC); and the Panasonic GH1 was a tempting choice.
I want to enter the HD medium, but at the right price.
But as it presents to me now, it would mean new Intel Mac $, to handle the new studio, a camera $ that shoots .mov and of course, $tudio.

Oh boy.

Thank you guys.
I guess I will wait and see.
Unless... someone really gives me a good reason to keep looking.
Thank you again!

Alexander
July 28, 2009 11:39PM
For the record, I still look down on DV. Preferably from a great height, because it makes my eyes hurt to see it up close.

But it does have its technical merits, and one of those technical merits is that it's very computationally lightweight. AVCHD is not; it's very computationally intensive, even more so than HDV or XDCAM, and we all know what a pain those are to work with.

I think I've said this somewhere before: Someday we'll have computers that are fast enough to deal with AVCHD media (or some technically similar but superior successor to it) in real time. That day is not today, though.

July 29, 2009 12:09PM
Hi Alexander,

There is a third party app called 'Video Pier', that will bring HVCHD (and other formats) into the Mac. You might want to check it out. I know several people who use it. Runs on a G5.

[www.aquafadas.com]

System requirements

Mac OS X 10.4.4 or later
1-GHz G4, G5, or Intel-based Mac
512 MB of RAM
An MPEG2 camera (optional)
Internet connection required for registration.

--ken
July 29, 2009 12:33PM
Thanks for posting that Ken!! Pretty reasonable too @ $49. I am thinking that with the successes people are having with the AVCHD imagery (sans Jeff), that the next iteration of FCP will be more AVCHD-friendly

July 29, 2009 12:35PM
Alexander: play dumb, it works for me... winking smiley

I have great respect for the other advisers here, but since they never told me that I couldn't do this kinda stuff, I've been doing it for a couple of years on a G5 dualie.

From a "efficient workflow" standpoint they're right, of course, but I didn't see about "major project" or "serious production" in your post. You'll want to heed their words carefully when those terms describe your circumstances.

Using the above-mentioned app or others like MPEG Streamclip you can get the files in. I strongly suggest you convert to ProRes since it's a lot easier to work with on a slower machine. You'll want a large, fairly fast storage area for the footage (read the ProRes specs) as well.

I think you'll be surprised at how well it works even if it gets slow on renders and output.

Good luck!
July 29, 2009 12:48PM
I think that many people thought the FCP 7 would be more AVCHD friendly/

One can only hope.

--ken
July 29, 2009 01:19PM
Thank you Tom and Ken.
To be honest, play dumb is a good advice.
I have been using Sony cameras for a long time.
And with the possibility of ingesting HD and shooting with a Hybrid is a temptation that I can't ignore.
Especially, when HD TV is here and clients will start to ask.
If I don't think this way, I would be still using Beta.
Also, no matter how long it takes to ingest the AVCHD, I think it beats the fact of waiting for the deck to run back and forth looking for datecode and batch digitizing.
I have been reading a lot lately, all towards AVCHD.
Thank you all for your input and valuable opinions.
I will also check the Video Pier.

Thanks again!!!
August 01, 2009 01:42AM
I have a Panasonic HMC-152 camera that records AVCHD on SDHC cards, and IMHO, the quality of the video is excellent. I shoot at 720p/25.

Transcoding takes about 30% of real time (compared to DV, this is delightful). Uncompressing increases file sizes by a factor of two or more, depending on content.

FCP handles the data files perfectly via FW 800. A plus for me.

No dropped frames...

2¢'s worth. I think AVCHD is great.
August 02, 2009 11:28PM
Thank you Kit,
I truly appreciate your input.
When uncertain, I tend to read everything that falls into my hands regarding a given interest, this time is the AVCHD.
I am glad that someone who is doing it right now is at least pleased with it.

Thank you!
August 03, 2009 12:17AM
I am too! I kinda thought I mentioned that by disagreeing with jeff grinning smiley

August 03, 2009 01:13AM
Alexander,

Thanks. Just a note: there is AVCHD and there is AVCHD! The Panasonic variety is, to my eyes, extremely pleasing, if shot at 720p. Upscaling and downscaling (for the web, for example) is computationally untaxing (this is not the case for interlaced video); the HMC-150 handles mixed light extremely elegantly; it has image stabilisation AND auto focus; see this image (screen grab of a randomly picked frame, hand-held, auto WB shot under kitchen lights):

Have a look here.

Unsharpened, all default settings.

And the economy and portability of SDHC cards doesn't need any explanation, I guess.

And this particular camera features a Leica zoom that spans 28?368 degrees... The wide end is the important one for my work; the closest Sony is 33 degrees and that is a world of difference in interiors.

Cheers, kl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics