Shooting Green Screen

Posted by MitchellRose 
Shooting Green Screen
August 04, 2009 10:39AM
I'm doing a green screen shoot soon and am costuming it now. I know that the feet can be the most challenging part, because of the shadows there. Would you say that I'd do well to have black shoes, so that if there is a keying problem, it'll be less apparent? Reddish shoes maybe?

Thanks.

Mitchell Rose
[www.mitchellrose.com]
Re: Shooting Green Screen
August 04, 2009 11:02AM
Huh? You mean like clown shoes?

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
August 04, 2009 11:06AM
Sneakers that are all black. Shoes that are all black. Or, I pose the possibility... many fine shoe manufacturers also make shoes and sneakers that are reddish in hue.

Mitchell Rose
[www.mitchellrose.com]
August 04, 2009 11:24AM
I always end up rotoscoping feet - even when shot on a painted floor - and introducing my own shadows back in. Black shoes would be fine for this (whatever the highest contast to the floor is).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 04, 2009 11:37AM
It's going to be thirty different shots so I'd certainly prefer to not have to rotoscope. Just trying to give myself the best possible start.

Thanks.

Mitchell Rose
[www.mitchellrose.com]
August 04, 2009 11:53AM
I don't think anyone "prefers" to rotoscope. I sure don't "prefer" it...I just end up doing it because it's the only way to fix a lousy key. It is what's left to do after the poorly shot key doesn't work.

Aren't you that dancing / editing Teacher guy? This may be a great opportunity to teach your students about rotoscoping winking smiley

August 05, 2009 03:47AM
What format are you shooting it on?

DV or HDV will yield far less clean results due to the way the colorspace is compressed than say Digibeta or DVCproHD or better.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 05, 2009 08:35AM
Grafixjoe-- Yes, I'm the dancing/editing Teacher guy? Oy, the mind reels at the thought of teaching them rotoscoping. Besides the fact that they'd have no interest in it--they just want to choreograph and shoot it in a filmic context--I have a hard enough time teaching them FCP. If I had them for 3 years, yes. I have them for 3 months.

Ben -- HDV. That's what I got. But the elements are going to be composited over crude Photoshop sets, so I don't need the world's greatest key. I just want to avoid having amorphous black pods at the end of my legs.

Thanks, guys.

Mitchell Rose
[www.mitchellrose.com]
August 09, 2009 02:17AM
My thoughts on your green screen adventure.
Shoes should be matte finish. If they can reflect green, they will reflect green.
Backlight talent with a rim light with minus green gel. 1/4 to 1/2 magenta. You might also try to cross light the dancer's feet with fixtures placed nearly on the floor and flag so they don't illuminate the floor but only the feet. You might put 1/4 magenta gels on these, but avoid contaminating the green screen. Hard light with a hard edge flag or barn doors.

When shooting have a critical eye looking for green spill. Don't just think you can fix it in post.

Depending upon the focal length you choose for the shoot, make a set of hard mattes for the front of your camera to minimize green contamination on the front of your lens. I've made them out of matte black foam core and attached with black camera tape.

Do some tests to find out the sweet spot for lighting the green screen. You want it bright enough to key but not so bright that it becomes a massive green light source.

Costumes. Avoid some yellows if they squew more green than orange. Bright yellows tend to the green and can give you fits.

Invest in a good keying plug in. I use Boris'. The native chromakey filter in FCP, doesn't give one enough control. I believe you can purchase their keying filters individually.

I shoot green screen on a regular basis. Have fun. Take your time.

Best,
Chet Simmons
August 09, 2009 10:29AM
Excellent advice, Chet. Thanks so much for your thorough guide.

I was hoping to use the Primatte filter that comes with Motion. Satisfactory?

Cheers...

Mitchell

Mitchell Rose
[www.mitchellrose.com]
August 09, 2009 12:50PM
We will be giving away a copy of Ultimatte at the Amsterdam SuperMeet as part of our raffle. Come to Amsterdam Mitchell and buy a raffle ticket.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 09, 2009 10:30PM

Come to Amsterdam Mitchell and buy a raffle ticket

LMFAO...that is awesome Mike...the chance to win will cost thousands of $$$ (plane fare / hotel / Supermeet tickets / raffle ticket) - smiling bouncing smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics