red exclamation mark when importing AVCHD Footage

Posted by silverdj1 
red exclamation mark when importing AVCHD Footage
August 05, 2009 01:39PM
working with FCP 7 , 10.5.6, macbook Pro, 2GB. 2.2. intel core

using a Panasonic AG-HMC150
When I go to log and transfer it sees the files, and I am able to transfer most of them, the issue is on some files it either freezes up the FCP with colorful circle, but mostly on the status icon i get a red exclamation mark and says error. I am coming straight from the SD card and have a 1TB external drive 400Fire wire. is there a solution, I have been on to multiple forums and still have found no answer.
Re: red exclamation mark when importing AVCHD Footage
August 05, 2009 02:59PM
What format did you shoot? Doesn't this camera shoot QuickTime files in native FCP format? How is the external drive formatted?
August 05, 2009 04:06PM
In the L&T preferences, make sure that the REMOVE PULLDOWN option is NOT checked...then try again.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 05, 2009 04:15PM
shot 1080I-60 External drive is os extended (journaled)
will it make a difference if I just shoot 720p
August 05, 2009 04:16PM
have tried that also. no luck, just stops importing. smaller files come through, others dont. hmmmm, is there a avchd conversion software that is good.
August 05, 2009 05:40PM
Toast 10 Pro does a good job as far as I know

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
August 06, 2009 09:01AM
I've had a similar problem: a handful of clips won't import (like you, I get the red exclamation point). I can discern no pattern as to why certain clips won't import... but a quick work-around that works for me is simply changing the name of the clip that won't import. This method has worked 100% of the time. - Thomas
September 15, 2009 10:51AM
I have a SONY HDR-UX20, and use VoltaicHD from shedworx.com to convert AVCHD files to .mov, which import fine into FCP (6.0.6 - OSX 10.5.7).

However, I think the whole HD format and processing time (~~ 24 hrs for 1 hour of raw) is more than what I need, so I'm going back to shooting SD on the same camera.

The suggestion about Toast (I have 9.0.1) is very true. Toast saved my life the other day, when VoltaicHD would not process (fail result) a raw file. Nor did FFMPEG. Toast did - although the resolution changed for the worse. I have not taken the time to retrace my steps and see if I could change settings in Toast to stay true to original resolution. But I did get a usable .mov file - the content was more important than the format.

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
September 13, 2013 11:02AM
I have a similar problem, wondered if you can help…. I have a XF100 Canon camera which I use Log and Transfer to import the clips to Final Cut 7. Up until a week ago I was importing files that were longer than 20mins, now it seems I cant import anything over 5 mins. When I do a red exclamation mark comes up and refuses to have anything to do with it. Ive checked the total free space… There’s 1.1TB, Ive changed the destination of the clip… No change, Ive changed the clip name… No change, I un-ticked the ‘Remove advanced pull down and duplicate frames’…. No change. Ive also updated the Firmware plugins for the camera and for Final Cut, produced another clip about 14mins… No joy. At the moment Im using PP CS5 to change the clip so its suitable for FC7. I would just cut it in PP but my version keeps crashing and I don’t trust it for big jobs. Also the clip is displayed and playable in both log and transfer as well Canon Utility. I want to know if there’s a setting I’m missing, something that’s really obvious.

I really would appreciate it if you can help me out,

Regards Sacha.
September 13, 2013 11:43AM
Did you switch storage drives by any chance? Perhaps you are using a FAT32- or FAT64-formatted drive by mistake.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics