speeding up hdv exports

Posted by Mario 
speeding up hdv exports
August 11, 2009 05:12PM
I was wondering if anyone has found or know of a trick to speed up HDV exports? All the issues with using HDV aside, as I don't have much choice at the moment.

Is there a way to get HDV footage in a HDV sequence exporting to HDV not take over 3 times the length of the movie to export?

Everything is rendered, or at least final cut is telling me that it is, I'm not switching codecs, so I just don't get why it takes so long.

I figure that there isn't any fix for it but on the off chance someone knew of something I thought I'd post and see what happens.

Thanks
Mario
Re: speeding up hdv exports
August 11, 2009 05:33PM
The only winning move is not to play.

HDV is an acquisition format. It's not a suitable intermediate or mastering format. Use a proper intermediate format on your timeline and your quality of life will improve substantially.

I'm not switching codecs, so I just don't get why it takes so long.

Because HDV is a GOP format. Which means it doesn't encode individual frames by themselves, but rather entire half-seconds of footage at a time. And the GOP structure is fixed; every 15th frame must be an I-frame. That's required by the format spec. So when you try to write out HDV, either by exporting a Quicktime in HDV format or by laying off to tape, Final Cut must fully decode your entire timeline, then fully encode it again, from scratch. Which is time-consuming, yes. But more important than that by far, it degrades the quality of your footage needlessly.

August 11, 2009 05:49PM
that does suck.

I've been trying to get them to let me start using Apple Prores, but it takes up so much space that its hard to squeeze them for the money for the drives needed.

and they're worried about not being able to recapture the footage if necessary.

oh well I'll just keep my arm tied behind my back.
August 11, 2009 07:12PM
No, set your timeline to ProRes.

There've been many posts here over the past year-or-so about HDV workflow in Final Cut. Opinions differ. Rather than repeating mine and poorly representing others', I'll just suggest you do a search.

August 11, 2009 11:10PM
exports for what, Mario? If for DVD, export 8-bit uncompressed -- much faster but requires 5 times more disc space.
August 12, 2009 12:38AM
Mario,
Everything is rendered, or at least final cut is telling me that it is...
Make sure its really rendered and not just FCP reporting that it can play it back in full quality in real time and so therefore it doesn't need rendering. (Sequence menu > Render submenus and make sure that "Full" is checked.)
Best
Andy
August 12, 2009 01:26AM
HDV can be rendered, but still take forever to export.

I like Jeff's workflow, which is to capture as HDV,
then work in a ProRres timeline.

render as you go, when you can, and in down-time.
the renders don't take up that much space,
and when it comes time to export, you don't get those crazy HDV delays.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics