Mixing v6 & v7 - If you have problems with v7, new ProRes family works in v6

Posted by Alex4D 
Mixing v6 & v7 - If you have problems with v7, new ProRes family works in v6
August 18, 2009 12:44PM
A few days into using version 7.0, I got the 'White Screen of Death?'

A permissions fix (using Disk Utility) worked...

...up until yesterday (while furiously using FxBuilder with multiple scripts while manipulating a complex 1080p25 HDV).

The WSoD returned.

Maybe because I installed 7 on top of 6. I also kept my copy of 6.0.6. - who (yet) knows?

However, I exported my sequence as version 4 XML, opened in 6.0.6. All was well.

Once version 7 has been installed on a computer, it shares codecs and sequence presets with version 6. Therefore you can continue working on version 6 until Apple fixes the problem.

I'm even tempted to keep this setup when Snow Leopard comes along: Wipe drive, install 10.6, custom install Final Cut 6 from FCS2 DVD, upgrade all the way to 6.0.6, rename 'Final Cut Pro' as 'Final Cut Pro 6.0.6', install all of Final Cut Studio from the new DVD.

Alex

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
Re: Mixing v6 & v7 - If you have problems with v7, new ProRes family works in v6
August 18, 2009 12:51PM
What's the "white screen of death?"

If I remember correctly, using Final Cut 6 and 7 on the same boot drive remains explicitly unsupported by Apple, though I read something recently that indicated they were working on making it possible to have two major versions on the same system.

If and until that happens, just keep doing what we all do: Keep two system disks, one with a known-stable installation and one with the new hotness. That way you can always roll back if (when) you need to.

Re: Mixing v6 & v7 - If you have problems with v7, new ProRes family works in v6
August 18, 2009 01:13PM
Jeff
What's the "white screen of death?"

It is a common bug where clips display fine in the Viewer, but appear as full-screen white in the Canvas.

No problems running 6.0.6 on a Final Cut Studio upgraded system.

...yet
August 18, 2009 02:19PM
NO, but you have issues with FCP 7. Installing on top of the other version isn't the best way to do things, and having both versions on the same drive can cause issues. And the only way the new codecs worth with FCP 6 is that FCP 7 is installed on that same drive. I have FCP 6 and 7 on separate drives...and i can say for a fact that the new codecs DO NOT work with FCP 6. ProRes proxy, LT, 4444...nope.

Do the proper install after Snow Leopard...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 18, 2009 09:40PM
I believe my WSoD moment in FCP 7 was related to elements left over in the Library from FCP 6. Only after I removed all trace of FCP 6 from my new system did FCP 7 install and function correctly.

Although there tend to be LOTS of different fixes for the WSoD (see Apple Forums for a VERY comprehensive thread), I feel like there is some kind of clash going on between the old and new suite and recommend to anyone I know to keep them separate.

Andy
August 19, 2009 03:54PM
Are you guys recommending an ENTIRE drive wipe when installing v7? Or just deleting FCS2 first?

JK

August 19, 2009 03:59PM
Do an erase-and-install on your system drive, or use a new, empty drive.

September 09, 2009 01:18PM
Hey, I've been having white screen problems since I installed FCP 7, though I also recently installed Snow Leopard so it might be that. I did use an uninstaller to get rid of FCS2, but could there still be some files somewhere causing conflicts? If so, where would they be so I can delete them?

My Viewer AND Canvas window go white and restarting usually helps, but what a pain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics