iPhone Sequence Settings

Posted by Logan6 
iPhone Sequence Settings
August 20, 2009 12:27AM
Can anyone enlighten me on the sequence settings for an iPhone imported movie? I can't figure it out and I getting render bars all over the place. Why am I missing the easy "hey this clip does not conform to the sequence. would you like to conform the sequence to the clip" button?

Thanks!
Re: iPhone Sequence Settings
August 20, 2009 02:23AM
As in what? Like a movie that someone else made for iPhone you're trying to re-edit? Tell us about the movie itself- where did it come from and what are its settings. FCP is not native in MP4, for one thing...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
August 20, 2009 07:10AM
Final Cut cannot edit iPhone movies without rendering. Final Cut is a broadcast editing system; it only support real-time editing for proper broadcast formats.

August 20, 2009 09:53AM
If I may piggyback on this topic....
I deal with somewhat the same issue trying to edit movies extracted from a camera.
I used MPEG Streamclip to reencode the files, but I am not sure what's the best format to export to.
So far I export to DV, but the files exported are very big compare to the original...

ANyone?....
August 20, 2009 10:30AM
Right, xavpil. I think that is what I need to do - export all of the movies (as DV or something) and then reimport them. Is there not an easier way for FCP to just internally render these files and remember they are rendered?

NoahK, The iPhone 3Gs can shoot and store video.

iPhoto transfers the movies from the iPhone and places Quicktime files on your drive. Here are the iPhone movie format specifics as read by FCP:

Tracks: 1V, 1A
Vid Rate: 29.97 (but V1 column says 15 fps)
Frame Size: 640x480
Compressor: H.264
Data Rate: 463.9 K/sec
Pixel Aspect: Square
Field Dom: None
Composite: Normal
Audio: 1 Mono
Aud Rate: 44.1 KHz
Aud Format: 32-bit Floating Point
August 20, 2009 10:56AM
Convert to ProRes- that would do the trick. H.264 has never been an RT codec in FCP.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
August 21, 2009 02:02AM
"render these files and remember they are rendered? "

unfortunately, no.
FCP is really stupid with its render management.

oh, you could render them,
then try to track down the newly created render files,
and import them into the project

but basically all you are doing is transcoding them to the sequence codec & other settings,
and using compressor is a much more efficient way to do that.

if you already HAVE rendered them,
a simple export of your timeline will be the quickest approach.

ProRes would be a better choice than DV, if you've got it (FCP6 and up)

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics