video looks stretched

Posted by dwaddsy 
video looks stretched
August 23, 2009 08:14PM
Hello,

I have compressed some video and I took the settings off some website I cannot remember

here is what the video looks like now. it loooks kind of stretched. I'm sure its the settings. Could you guys let me know what would be optimal settings for compressing a video to put on websites, youtube etc

maybe the same settings that movie trailers have on websites. such as myspace etc?

here is the stretched video :

thank you!
Re: video looks stretched
August 23, 2009 08:52PM
And here's the reason!

I'm betting your video originated on DV, but it was shot in anamorphic 16:9. Which means it is 720x480 pixels, but it was intended to be "crunched" to 720x405 (video) or 640x405 (square pixels/computer monitors), in other words, 16:9 widescreen.

Read this:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
August 23, 2009 09:09PM
This is me being pedantic.

Anamorphic video isn't meant to be "crunched," any more than it's meant to be "stretched." You can do either. Instead of scaling to 405 lines, I'd scale to 843x480.

August 24, 2009 01:16AM
Why 843x480? Isn't 854x480 a 16:9 ratio?

Andy
August 24, 2009 01:37AM
YouTube request 640x 480
i think whatever you send them, it'll get scaled to 640x 480, so don't bother with going higher.

also, maybe don't bother with re-doing your work.

according to YouTuve
there is a simple tab you can add to your already uploaded video that will fix it:

[www.google.com]

--------snip---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd like to add formatting tags to a video you've already uploaded to your account:
Sign into your YouTube account, and click account (in the upper right hand corner of the page).
Click Uploaded Videos, and select the video that you'd like to edit.
Click the "edit" button below the video.
Depending on how you'd like to format your video, type on of the following tags into the "Tags" section:

Tag: yt:crop=16:9
(zooms in on the 16:9 area, removes windowboxing)

Tag: yt:stretch=16:9
(fixes anamorphic content by scaling to 16:9)

Tag: yt:stretch=4:3
(fixes 720x480 content that is the wrong aspect ratio by scaling to 4:3)

Tag: yt:quality=high
(default to a high quality stream, depending on availability)

--------snip---------------------------------------------------------------------

nick

PS:
hey, that first actress is Australian!
August 24, 2009 07:38AM

Why 843x480? Isn't 854x480 a 16:9 ratio?

It's not like one pixel makes any difference, but 853 pixels is the closest integer approximation you can get to 16:9 on a 480-line raster; 853, 854, whatever it takes.

YouTube request 640x 480

That hasn't been true for ages; these days Youtube is admirably ecumenical about what you can upload. The SD stuff I produce for Youtube is 853x480 square-pixel; the HD stuff goes out as regular 720p.

August 24, 2009 07:43AM
>It's not like one pixel makes any difference

Err... Jeff, you're a cool dude, and we like ya, but... you missed it by 10 lines.. 10.33 to be precise...

www.strypesinpost.com
August 24, 2009 10:56AM
> YouTube request 640x 480
> i think whatever you send them, it'll get scaled to 640x 480, so don't bother with going higher.

640x480 will result in "pillarboxing". If your original video had to be 4:3, then that's the way it is, but he's got anamorphic 16:9 media, so 640x480 would be wrong for him. YouTube will not detect anamorphic flags; I don't even think those compressed formats (H.264, MPEG-4s) can contain any information that would tell any software to stretch/crunch it back to the right proportions.

www.derekmok.com
August 24, 2009 12:48PM
Jeff
853 pixels is the closest integer approximation you can get to 16:9 on a 480-line raster

I just wanted to make sure that your original post was a typo, and that there wasn't some kind of strange ratio magic going on.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Andy
August 24, 2009 01:25PM
Yes, the ratio magic is "add ten when before 9 a.m."

August 24, 2009 01:31PM
>YouTube will not detect anamorphic flags

My general rule of thumb for web is always convert to square pixels and deinterlace if it's an interlaced source.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 24, 2009 02:39PM
I don't do you tube but.....

if you create a 16/9 file from fcp it is 16/9 as long as your ratio is the same it will stay the same, loosing some clarity for sizes above its original aspect.

I think the problem is in 1-2 places.
*****In fcp open the clip in the viewer and check to see what is the aspect distortion is. If your TL is 16/9 and the footage isn't then the aspect distortion will have a value. In this case setting it to 0 will take care of the distortion. ( tip from derek )

**I also have seen video do this when playing a 16/9 fcp movie in QT. If you see it ther then cmd-J in qt and goto presentation and set it to clean and save. ( tip from ben)

I have seen not doing the presentation clean causing this to happen in the final encode of flash, h264 and x264.

In my opinion, this video was distorted before upload.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
August 24, 2009 09:39PM
Derek
YouTube will not detect anamorphic flags

what i'm saying, (well, what YouTube is saying,) is that you can ADD YOUR OWN ANAMORPHIC FLAG when you post to YouTube,
either when you post, or after the fact.

[www.google.com]

Tag: yt:stretch=16:9
(fixes anamorphic content by scaling to 16:9)

nick
September 09, 2009 07:14PM
omigod im so confused lol. I worked on it and posting a new thread just because i feel im overwhelmed and need a fresh thread to make sense of this lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics