OT: Snow Leopard to go on sale THIS FRIDAY...

Posted by grafixjoe 
OT: Snow Leopard to go on sale THIS FRIDAY...
August 24, 2009 04:53PM
[tech.yahoo.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: OT: Snow Leopard to go on sale THIS FRIDAY...
August 24, 2009 05:00PM
Available in lafcpug store too for $29.00. Be the first on your block to post on this forum, "Damit!"

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 24, 2009 05:32PM
I WILL. I preordered it. The FAMILY pack by accident...because at $49 I thought that was STILL a good deal. Ah well, this year when I install it on 3 machines I'll be legal...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 24, 2009 10:59PM
So here's a question -

Will FCP 7 and Studio 3 components run as 64-bit under this new item?

Will FCP rendering suddenly leverage Grand Central Dispatch and be threaded 8 ways from Sunday and deliver a 20-track vertical edit in five seconds?

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:

Enable timeline A/V links with Shift-L !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 24, 2009 11:02PM
I buy my new Mac Pro Octocore in mid-august and with the up-to-date program from Apple it cost me $13 + Taxes + Shipping Express (i want it like yesterday ....) =$29 Canadian.

PRODUCTION D. GOYETTE
TOURNAGE / MONTAGE VIDÉO CORPORATIF
DISTRIBUTION DVD / BLU-RAY / WEB
[www.productiondgoyette.com]
August 25, 2009 02:19AM
Loren Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So here's a question -
>
> Will FCP 7 and Studio 3 components run as 64-bit
> under this new item?

Nope. Still just 32-bit. Pretty awkward for Apple. Speaking of awkward...

One potentially confusing point about Snow Leopard - by default it boots 32-bit kernel on all machines (even 64-bit ones) except recent Xserves. You can boot in 64-bit mode by holding the "6" and "4" keys during boot, but loading a 64-bit kernel means only 64-bit drivers work. However, regardless of wether you load a 64-bit kernel or not, you still run both 64 and 32-bit apps. And in 10.6 Apple has recompiled all its own apps that ship with the OS (Finder, Mail, Safari, etc., etc.) in 64-bit.

- Justin Barham -
August 25, 2009 02:53AM
>>Will FCP rendering suddenly leverage Grand Central Dispatch and be threaded 8 ways from Sunday and deliver a 20-track vertical edit in five seconds?<<

Only if the entire app were to be running at 64 Bit and be able to access more than 4GB of Ram. That's the bottleneck. Seems to me that the New FCS is sort of a test drive; get it out there, work out the bugs, let the third party suppliers catch up, and then go for the new OS rather than doing both at once. Remember all the glitches and hassles we went through going from PPC to Intel and Studio all in one shot (stone age, +- 36 months ago)? Seems like this time they've taken a different route.

It'll all happen though. Ready and waiting for a 16TB optical cable external rackmount RAM unit.

Clay
August 25, 2009 12:22PM
i wont upgrade, see no good reason (feature)
August 25, 2009 12:55PM
I see no reason to not upgrade- it's not like there's a history of new Mac OS versions not being supported and ultimately required by all software. Might as well keep up to date and at $29 it's a no brainer.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
August 25, 2009 01:09PM
Yeah, I'm only doing this on my laptop. Waiting for the new drivers and support from people like AJA and Matrox and BMD. Unless FCP 7 and Snow Leopard somehow work together in new and exciting ways. Even then...wait for the updates from third party.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 25, 2009 02:07PM
On CalDigit's Facebook page it says: Getting ready for Snow Leopard? CalDigit has native support!

What does "has native support" mean in that statement?
August 25, 2009 02:19PM
Native simply means it works without having to add something else to make it work.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 25, 2009 02:26PM
Native support regarding Snow Leopard could also imply that the drivers are 64-bit, should you want to boot 64-bit kernel.

- Justin Barham -
August 25, 2009 02:27PM
Thanks Michael... One less thing to worry about cool smiley
August 25, 2009 03:37PM
Loads of companies already have Snow Leopard Native support - I would advocate installing a fresh new HDD with a new install and keep the old System Safe until you have full tested the new beast.

I already have a nice shiny new Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD ready for Friday!

Grrrr

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 25, 2009 04:45PM
Thanks, Justin for that 64-bit trick-- a good way to see what works and what doesn't...

I wasn't going to press those keys for a few years, to the tune of that McCartney song...

What do you bet Apple uses that song for ads?

Ben writes-
[I would advocate installing a fresh new HDD with a new install and keep the old System Safe until you have full tested the new beast.

I follow that procedure religiously. Upgrades are always a stairstep thing in this little beaver dam.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:

Enable timeline A/V links with Shift-L !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 26, 2009 12:46AM
I did a Snow Leopard pre-order yesterday through amazon dot com. $29.00 was the price. To day I get an email from them saying that SL estimated arrival date: September 09 2009 - September 15 2009. Went back to amazon dot com to cancel it and found the price went down to $24.99. If I didn't check they would of still charged me $29.00. Some Pre-order Price Guarantee. I'll go to the Apple store this weekend and buy it myself.
August 26, 2009 01:48AM
I have a feeling "to 64-bit or not to 64-bit" will be the question in the coming months.

[arstechnica.com]

- Justin Barham -
August 26, 2009 05:44AM
>regardless of wether you load a 64-bit kernel or not, you still run both 64 and 32-bit apps.

Although sadly (for me and my 2.16 GHz Core Duo MBP) the 64 bit apps will only run in 64 bit mode on Core 2 Duo processors and better ... boo hoo, guess I'll have to go all new FCS, all new OS X and an all new Mac to go with it ... Christmas is coming right?
August 26, 2009 03:32PM
Our drivers are IN Snow Leopard....if that clears anything up.
So there's driver's/support for HDElement, CalDigit RAID card, HDOne & HDPro.

I'll also be at the Gallery Theatre tonight to talk to anyone that wants to talk, I'll be bringing a CalDigit VR & a CalDigit VR mini with.
August 26, 2009 03:38PM
Wow, so you can just plug in a Caldigit device to a Snow Leopard system and it works automatically? That's pretty damn cool, Jon.

I imagine that'll also eliminate the "don't upgrade to 10.blank.blankyblank until we release new drivers" thing. It was only a minor inconvenience, but every little bit helps.

August 26, 2009 03:44PM
Jeff,

I thought I'd chime in real quick again before hitting the road from the OC.

With any new OS upgrade, update, it's always best to back up the data you have before proceeding, which I think is something that Ben King indicated & frankly is the generally recommended protocol.

There are others that lean toward a wait & see approach before upgrading anything & that's also understandable....

Here's a quote from Jared Picune, our VP of Sales & Marketing which addresses this further:

"We always recommend that you never update your OS in the middle of a project, and it always a good idea to wait a while for bugs to be worked out before updating.

That being said we have been working hard with Apple on Snow Leopard, and the CalDigit driver will have native Snow Leopard support. Basically that mean that our drive will be installed with Snow Leopard. However and future driver updates will still come directly from CalDigit".
August 26, 2009 04:05PM
That rocks, Jon.

Lovin' my Caldigit VR 2TB. It's the most dependable piece of gear I own thumbs down

August 27, 2009 01:35AM
August 27, 2009 05:25PM
Joey,

Thanks for the testimonial sir! Shane Ross, nice to see you last night, it's been awhile. Ran into John Putch, Larry Jordan & Leo Zahn last night, all great CalDigit customers.....It was a nice night, thanks to all.
August 27, 2009 09:27PM
I always wait & see. And i agree with JustinB, 32 or 64 may indeed be the choice question in the future.

Ben,
This Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD is better than Hitachi? I always follow your lead on the drives.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
August 28, 2009 09:12PM
Installing Snowey now!
will post.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
August 28, 2009 10:05PM
Snow Leopard installed FCP 7 launched and my last project seems to work so far. Install took about 45 minutes

------------------------
Dean

August 29, 2009 07:20PM
I hope you did your homework as well as the rest of you that are updating this early in the game...there are many, many MANY terrible issues that folks are running into all over and STILL...folks jump in blind because they thing everything will be instantly faster.

I hope you are not using any Red giant plug-ins because they are all not yet ready.

I am on the "watch the guinea pigs explode" team. I'll wait until the first point update and an Adobe / Red Giant / Maxon / Foundry full announcement of compatibility.

August 31, 2009 12:06AM
Yes did home work. Since I teach at Apple I need to know the OS. So far it seems my Cal Digit Fasta 2 card is not working so it seems. It's used for back up drive though so not too big a deal.

------------------------
Dean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics