SUPER OT: DISNEY BUYS MARVEL for 4 Billion $$$...

Posted by grafixjoe 
SUPER OT: DISNEY BUYS MARVEL for 4 Billion $$$...
August 31, 2009 02:20PM
This is HUGE. Gonna put this up for a few days then move it over to News & Announcements.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: SUPER OT: DISNEY BUYS MARVEL for 4 Billion $$$...
August 31, 2009 02:41PM
Let's just hope the big bad mouse doesn't start mucking with artistic decisions:

"Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man? No, can we get Shia LaBoeuf? One of the Jonas Brothers? Will Ferrell's good for box office, right?"

"Up? It should be a Hot Young White/Jewish American Male? in that story!"

www.derekmok.com
August 31, 2009 02:44PM
None of the current movie deals are touched. Sony still has Spidey series, and Paramount has its 5 pix deal intact.
August 31, 2009 02:54PM
This is my favorite Marvel movie yet:

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
August 31, 2009 03:11PM
I just get the feeling that Disney's coming in at the 4th quarter on the superhero movie genre market.

I feel that audience fatigue is settling in with this genre partially because Hollywood is saturating the market with them, and partially because name recognition is dropping with the general public as they make more and more obscure comics titles into films.

How soon until we get Disney's "Power Man", "Sheena the She-Devil", (gasp) "Daredevil 2", or "The New Mutants"?

Wait, scratch that last. I'd actually really like to see a New Mutants movie.

Andy
August 31, 2009 03:47PM
"Up? It should be a Hot Young White/Jewish American Male? in that story!"

Uhm...Up was a Disney film...via Pixar. Thank goodness they have the sense that God gave a billy goat to leave that cash-cow alone. But I am sure they tried HARD at some point to meddle.

I guess now we'll see Wolverine with Nerf claws? Or Animated? Throw Lindsay Lohan in there...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 31, 2009 03:58PM

Thank goodness they have the sense that God gave a billy goat to leave that cash-cow alone. But I am sure they tried HARD at some point to meddle.

Actually, it was the opposite. They hired John Lasseter from Pixar to meddle with Disney Animation. And after Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Home on the Range, and Meet the Robinsons, who can blame them.

Andy
August 31, 2009 04:07PM
Treasure Planet & Meet The Robinsons rocked. Don't care what you say.

August 31, 2009 04:12PM
Ok. I can get behind Meet the Robinsons a bit, but how about "The Emperor's New Groove"?

Andy
August 31, 2009 04:17PM
Emperor's New Groove is one of my FAVORITES. "Squeek, squeeker, squeeken?"

That and we also like Brother Bear.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 31, 2009 04:33PM

Ok. I can get behind Meet the Robinsons a bit, but how about "The Emperor's New Groove"?

Dude...how OLD R U ?? Do you have any kids? That show is HYSTERICAL. They don't launch a series from a BOMB MOVIE. My 11 year old quotes the show all the time. Kronk is a pi$$er.

Fu-nny smiling bouncing smiley

August 31, 2009 05:11PM

Dude...how OLD R U ??
\

Older than 11. Personally I found the movie profoundly dumb on just about every level. But we don't have to agree on it's merits. My previous point was that Disney had a string of near hits and big misses at the box office, including the barely profitable Emperor's New Groove.

Compare that to Pixar which has not even released a film that grossed less than $300 million. Disney's last $300 mil animated movie was Chicken Little in 2005 (probably helped by 3D box office). That is, until Bolt. The first Disney Animated film fully under John Lasseter's guidance.

Andy
August 31, 2009 05:26PM

Personally I found the movie profoundly dumb on just about every level.

That's because it was geared towards those that are not much "older than 11" winking smiley

Whatever makes my kids smile, I will go see...bad reviews / bomb or not. I will purchase the t-shirts and collect the McDonalds toys...cause I'm a Dad and that's what Dad's do (good ones, IMHO). Disney's acquisition is gonna be a boon...a cash cow...more characters & rides in the parks...more toys in the stores...more smiles on my kids' faces. I'm a sucker for it all...sorry. As long as the movie message is not damaging, it's just eye candy...and nobody does eye candy better than Disney / Pixar. My "11 year old" is already pointing out which compositing is good and which key is showing an edge. He learned how to do that from watching all the added content on his massive DVD collection. I love it.

August 31, 2009 05:27PM

Personally I found the movie profoundly dumb on just about every level.

:-(

I liked it.

I guess I'm profoundly dumb on just about every level too, though.

August 31, 2009 05:32PM
I can quote Emperors all day long...

"was that MY voice?"

The mixing of breaking the 4th wall, having things like them running and you see the dotted lines, the mixing of technologies past and present. I loved that movie...still makes me laugh when Kronk does his own spy sneak music. "Da da daaaaaa--aaaaaa-aaaaaaa-aaaaa--aaaaa" as people walk by and look at him...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 31, 2009 05:34PM
So did I...still laugh every time Cam plays the DVD. Everyone has an opinion.

I never want to grow up tongue sticking out smiley

August 31, 2009 05:56PM

Disney's acquisition is gonna be a boon...a cash cow...more characters & rides in the parks...more toys in the stores...more smiles on my kids' faces. I'm a sucker for it all...sorry.

I certainly agree with that statement; nobody merchandises better than Disney. And there's no need to apologize for your taste or opinion in films. I wasn't criticizing anyone who liked it, only offering why I didn't. And you're right, it wasn't made for me.

Andy
August 31, 2009 06:50PM
> Uhm...Up was a Disney film...via Pixar. Thank goodness they have the sense that God gave a
> billy goat to leave that cash-cow alone.

Well, I certainly hope Disney has the good sense to realize that they can't brighten up and dumb down everything...especially since they already have their own brand for squeaky-clean, family/children's entertainment.

Up was exactly my case in point -- they argued that it shouldn't have been an old man because it affects merchandising. The thought of a young protagonist for that film shivers my skin, because it's all supposed to be about a last end-of-life attempt at transcendence. Lasseter and company's good sense won out, but I'm pessimistically predicting that they won't be able to resist the Mouse Influence forever. I hope I'm bone-crushingly wrong on that one.

www.derekmok.com
August 31, 2009 07:32PM
I have worked for both Disney and Marvel. I can't think of two more disparate corporate cultures. After working on about three or four of the Marvel films and working on the Chicken Little Blu Ray, I don't predict good things out of this for Marvel fans.

Dan
August 31, 2009 08:13PM
Isn't all this Superhero/Superpower stuff getting a little long in the tooth?

I agree with Andy Neil saying:

"I just get the feeling that Disney's coming in at the 4th quarter on the superhero movie genre market. "

Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
August 31, 2009 11:55PM
I just want to see The Incredibles 2 thumbs down ...can't f%$#!ing wait.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics