Motion wont send back to FCP

Posted by keadig 
Motion wont send back to FCP
September 01, 2009 11:14PM
Im still on FC6 and Motion 3.0.2. IN FCP I send a job to motion, do my stuff and save and reopen in FCP and nothing is there. It is in MOTION when I go back but does not send back to FCP ON one occasion it did send the graphics back but the font were all wrong. Have I de selected something i my mistake?
Can anyone help? Thanks Phil
Re: Motion wont send back to FCP
September 02, 2009 04:37PM
When you send to Motion, are you clicking the 'embed' box to convert your selection to a Motion project on the timeline? That's the file that would update when you make changes in Motion. Otherwise, just drag your Motion project into your browser and add it to the timeline.

However.

I would recommend that you Export your final Motion project as a Quicktime file (set to your projects specs) and import it as a clip. Not only will it save you a render, but helps you avoid situations like this where something in the Motion file is missing -- image, font, etc. Exporting your Motion projects (instead of importing direct into FCP) will save you lots of hassle in the long run.

HTH, JK

September 02, 2009 08:31PM
Yes From my selection on the FCP timeline i choose send to Motion The embedded box is always ticked ( perhaps it wasn't on this occasion) do what I need to in motion then save. I then import the motion file into my FCP timeline. I do it this way because quite often the client will make changes and it just as easy to go back in to make them then get out again.
Interestingly the first time this happened the text came back but all the wrong fonts. When i clicked open in editor - back in motion everything was fine . Hit save again, go back to FCP all wrong. it was like the font was not available and it substituted a different font.
The second time it happened nothing came back at all.
Dont know what is happening
September 03, 2009 04:00AM
Sounds like you've got an issue with the font, not the roundtrip. FCP doesn't always recognize all the fonts that are available in Motion.

What font exactly is it that's giving you problems? Post that info. Meantime, you can do a simple test by changing it in Motion to something basic like Arial and see if that works upon importing the Motion Project File into FCP.

Otherwise, as suggested above, just do a selfcontained playout from Motion and import that clip. Use either Animation(lossless) or ProRes HQ.

Clay
September 03, 2009 07:31PM
Indeed that is the problem. The font was Apple Braille regular in motion. Changed to a different font, Arial as suggested and plays fine back in FCP.
Thanks to all for your response much appreciated. Phil
September 03, 2009 11:43PM
>The font was Apple Braille regular in motion.

Braille isn't even a "font". I think Motion may change it to some other font by default.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics