Won't select video AND video

Posted by Scott Erickson 
Won't select video AND video
September 03, 2009 10:12PM
OK, on a different machine than usual and for whatever reason, when i click on a linked clip, it only selects the track i clicked on, not the linked clip as well. So I have to Opt-Click it instead, which is the reverse of how it normally is on my machine and it's driving me insane.

I can't see to find this in the System Prefs or User Pref's anywhere to switch this back to normal. I'm assuming its a preference but i never seem to recall seeing this anywhere. Anyone know what im talking about and how to get it back to normal so i can focus on editing tonight and not going crazy having to undo years and years of muscle/brain training on my standard machine just for this one project?

Thanks!

=S=
Re: Won't select video AND video
September 03, 2009 10:14PM
It's basic as heck, but you didn't mention it so we have to rule it out: Is View - Linked Selection on?

www.derekmok.com
September 03, 2009 10:59PM
Fantastic Derek thanks soo much! I knew it had to be something easy like that. Apparently i've avoided this feature/aspect of FCP for the past 6 years...

BTW, it's actually under the Edit menu but a quick search and help pointed me true.
September 03, 2009 11:42PM
Shift L will toggle "linked selection". By default, it's one of the buttons on the timeline.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 04, 2009 11:58AM
Yeah this was at the global, not clip level, which is why it was so frustrating. It was the opposite of how i normally work with FCP and couldnt figure out how to get it back.

It's a weird place to be located, under the Edit menu, since everything is else meant to modify a specific object, not toggle a system wide change. Oh well...Derek to the rescue i guess
September 04, 2009 06:53PM
I'm amazed that you made it 6 years without using the timeline linking button. I couldn't get 6 minutes without wanting to turn linking off.

I find it's nice to have it on in the rough cut stage, but when I'm fine cutting it's damn annoying.

Andy
September 04, 2009 08:04PM
> I'm amazed that you made it 6 years without using the timeline linking button. I couldn't get 6
> minutes without wanting to turn linking off.

Actually, I don't use it either. Because I unlink everything permanently when I edit. Can't remember the last instance when I didn't do that, even for re-exported effects clips that have audio attached. It just frees up my editing operations, for me.

www.derekmok.com
September 05, 2009 03:01PM
Linking or un-linking was not the problem, I do that all through keyboard commands.

It's just a matter of my thought process. I've always assumed FCP will select a linked-clip by one click and if i want to only select one section, i option click. So now it was reversed and that's what was killing me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics