exporting qt file readable by pc qt

Posted by Chris Rawlence 
exporting qt file readable by pc qt
September 05, 2009 09:48AM
I want to burn a QT file of a movie edited on fcp 5.4 to a DVD so that the QT file can then be played through the QT player on a PC. At present the PC QT player is saying that it doesn't recognise the file. How should I export the movie from FCP to remedy this? Through QT Conversion? Settings please. Or any other method, except tape, of exporting an FCP movie so that it can be used to burn DVDs from a PC. The movie is > 4Gb so Flash Drive no good. Thanks.
Re: exporting qt file readable by pc qt
September 05, 2009 10:06AM
> The movie is > 4Gb so Flash Drive no good.

It's time to upgrade your flash drives. 16GB ones were only $35 last I checked, which was months ago.

That is not likely to be your issue, though. Did you make sure to add an .mov extension to the file? What codec did you use? On the Mac, does the resulting file have an FCP icon?

Export - Using QuickTime Conversion will not help with this issue.

www.derekmok.com
September 05, 2009 11:47AM
Hi Chris,

I've found the most reliable format for PC Quicktime playback is h.264. If your file on the PC for viewing only (No editing, etc.), the h.264 format also provides the advantages of superior quality, while not requiring a great deal of disc activity. Make sure the PC has a recent version of Quicktime. You'll need to make a decision as to data rate vs. quality, which can be determined through experimentation.

I've found that some USB memory sticks are quite a bit slower than others, and some will allow playback directly from the stick, while others require the file to be copied to the hard drive first.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
September 06, 2009 01:56AM
Thanks Derek and Travis, A few questions

Do you just add the .mov extension manually - it isn't a setting then, or does it automatically become a .mov when you export from fcp via qt conversion? What setting would you recommend through QT Conversion?

The file on the PC will be for burning to a DVD.

Any recommendations on the best USB Memory sticks? I'm using

What I discovered with the 16 GB Memory Stick I have is that it won't take a file larger than 4Gb - I googled the problem and learnt that a decision Bill Gates had made about the size of FAT files in some time on the 1980s had permanently limited the file size to 4Gb - presumanbly on the assumption that no-one would ever want any bigger. Does this ring true?

Thanks, Chris
September 06, 2009 01:59AM
PS - I'm using an Integral memory stick - CR
September 06, 2009 12:32PM
Hi Chris,

OK... now you're talking about something completely different. The h.264 format is intended primarily as a "playback" medium. If you're intending to make a DVD - suitable for playing from a DVD player, the DVD creation software will need to re-encode your file to .mp2, which means it will need to recompress your video file, and your quality will degrade substantially. Also, your DVD creation software may, or may not, be able to accept h.264 files for encoding. It's also quite possible that a file which will encode properly to a DVD won't play well, in real time, on a PC.

So, the first thing you'll need to find out is what file formats will the DVD creation software on the Windows PC will accept. It's entirely possible that it will accept an h.264 .mov file, and it's possible that it may not.

As mentioned before, make sure that the file is named with the proper extentsion (.mov .mp4 .mpg, etc.). Windows PCs use that extension to let the software know what kind of file the software is working with, unlike Macs, which use other means to identify the file type.

Sorry this is so complicted - Video file compatibility between Macs, PCs and Linux machines is a real problem. It would be really nice if Apple would, or could license ProRes for use on other platforms, and make it free or really cheap so that it becomes the "de-facto" production standard.

If I was in your situation, I would create a DVD-compatible .mpg file, and copy that to the PC. I would also have a 32GB flash memory stick available.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
September 08, 2009 10:05AM
Any Windows PC with XP or better and the new QT will be able to read proRea422.

We are able to ingest 422 directly from a mov to flash.

works like a charm

Chris Rawlence Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want to burn a QT file of a movie edited on fcp
> 5.4 to a DVD so that the QT file can then be
> played through the QT player on a PC. At present
> the PC QT player is saying that it doesn't
> recognise the file. How should I export the movie
> from FCP to remedy this? Through QT Conversion?
> Settings please. Or any other method, except
> tape, of exporting an FCP movie so that it can be
> used to burn DVDs from a PC. The movie is > 4Gb
> so Flash Drive no good. Thanks.
September 09, 2009 01:01AM
Thanks for all this. On the 32Gb Flash Card - which I have - the problem I encountered was that it wouldn't take files larger than 4Gb - my largest is 4.13. Is there a newer version that does take this size? Chris Rawlence
September 10, 2009 09:45AM
Here lies the dillema, the flash drive is formatted FAT32, which both OS X
and Windows read. However, FAT32 will allow only UP to 4G files Max.

If you format it OSX Extended, the Windows PC will not read it,
and if you format it NTFS, OS X can't read it.

Suggestion-Get a zip program that will break it into sub 4G parts.

Chris Rawlence Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all this. On the 32Gb Flash Card -
> which I have - the problem I encountered was that
> it wouldn't take files larger than 4Gb - my
> largest is 4.13. Is there a newer version that
> does take this size? Chris Rawlence
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics