Thoughts/suggestions on best FCP filter for that film look for HD 720p24?

Posted by digibody 
Thoughts/suggestions on best FCP filter for that film look for HD 720p24?
September 09, 2009 01:27PM
I shot a low budget horror movie on HD, HVX 200 - 720p24 fps. It looks very electronic and hard looking. It does have depth of field, well lit, lots of moving shots, framed properly, well cut and looks professional except for the actual electronic image.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best filters people use these days to "cinelook" a movie shot on video? I want to fool the audience into thinking they are watching a 16mm film ala (the original) TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, or even BROTHERS MCMULLEN quality image. I don't expect an amazing 35mm breathtaking image. Degrading the image may help.

I have done exhaustive research online and tried the following:

1. Red Giant Magic Bullet - using the Black Diffusion 3.5 was okay at 50% mix and made it look similar to the image TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, which (strangely enough) looked more cinematic, although alittle Hallmark Movie of the Week -like.

2. Tried Sapphire "Film look" filter trying to match filmstocks but they all came out too dark

3. Did the Gramme Natress which was okay but caused artifacts on my last movie.

Am I using the right filters but the wrong settings?
Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you for your reply.
Re: Thoughts/suggestions on best FCP filter for that film look for HD 720p24?
September 09, 2009 01:46PM
GOOD COLOR CORRECTION. You already have the film frame rate...so now you need great color correction, and if you want, you can add FILM GRAIN to the footage. If you color correct (Actually hire a good colorist) with COLOR, FILM GRAIN comes as an option. Otherwise you can look for the PAUL CRISP film grain (google) or CGM FILM LE (google that too).

But really...COLOR CORRECT. Well.

Plugins don't make things magically look like film. Unless you think you can do that with this:

[www.redgiantsoftware.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 09, 2009 02:29PM
Or um shoot and light it cinematically. That always helps.... A LOT.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
September 09, 2009 04:50PM
I've worked with a lot of clients that are specifically after that filmic look- In most cases, people think that all they need is 24p- when in reality it's usually a culmination of things they're after. Here's a quick rundown of how I've tried to satisfy my clients in the past.

Film grain- eh.. yeah. But think about it- all you're really doing is 'spoofing' a single bi-product of film. By adding grain, you're just asking your audience to believe it's film by association- like passing counterfeit money as real just because it's wrinkly and dirty. Grain CAN help, especially if you're willing to use a lot.

Lighting - While it still may not "look like film" - simply not looking cheap goes a really LONG way. Lighting creatively, using shadows to your advantage harkens back to classic filmmaking, which helps.

Depth of Field - mimicking (or using) a 35mm lens really puts the debate to rest for a lot of people. Again- all you can ever do is dis-associate your footage from what we think video looks like- but this can be very effective in doing that.

Color Correction - You can achieve a lot by just sinking your blacks a bit and adding some contrast, saturation and warmth. We think of video as being kind of washed out- milky blacks and cool colors - film as being rich, deep and warmer.

Honestly- I think the biggest culprit is the fluidity of motion. I find that clients aren't usually happy with the 'video-ness' of their footage because HD can be so good at capturing smooth motion. Film has a tendency to be a bit more strobed, or stuttered. Experiment with the camera exposure settings because the look your after is likely in there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics